The ABOX A1 is one of the slimmest Android boxes sent for review. It has the now standard small slab design but with a much slimmer profile than other Android boxes.
The slim design manages to pack in a MicroSD card slot, 2 USB ports, HDMI and 100MB Ethernet port. It also has WiFi which works well and doesn’t need an unsightly external WiFi aerial.
Along with the ABox you get a HDMI cable, power cable and a remote. It’s an IR remote so you’ll need to have line of sight, it does an OK job but, as always with Android boxes, it’s much better to use an airmouse/keyboard combination such as the DroidBox VIP remote.
Power it up and you’re presented with a big button interface that’s easy to navigate using the included remote. There is a row of small shortcuts to apps at the bottom of the home screen that you can customise, selecting or deselecting the apps you want quick access to.
The big buttons can’t be customised, but as some of them are actually just folders holding app shortcuts you can add to what’s stored inside the folders, handy if you end up installing a lot of apps and don’t want to search through the app tray.
It has a number of apps pre-installed and they all favour streaming, so you’ve got things like Netflix, YouTube etc. A version of Kodi is installed, however it’s not a clean version, it has a lot of addons installed. On firing up Kodi some addons triggered warnings that they weren’t working correctly, it’s recommended that rather than mess around trying to fix them you uninstall this version and install a fresh, clean, version.
As a basic internet connected box for streaming and a bit of casual web browsing it works fine. It can be a slow and frustrating process entering text via the included basic remote, especially when searching for things in YouTube or the Google Play store.
If you’re looking for an Android box that’ll also let you play games the ABOX A1 is not the ‘droid box you’re looking for. It downloaded and installed both Asphelt8 and Modern Combat 5 fine, but refused to run either of them, getting stuck on the loading screen and never making it to the game.
If you’re looking for a basic streaming only box to add some smarts to an old TV this low cost box is worth considering. However, it’s a crowded market and for similar money you can buy a far more capable Android box.
The ABOX A1 is available from:
- Amazon co.uk: http://amzn.to/2fB5T4N
- eBay: http://ebay.to/2xFPaYT
- Amazon com: http://amzn.to/2x5ijs4
- Amazon ca: http://amzn.to/2yNWBec
ABOX A1 Android Box Video Review
Humax Aura Android TV 4K Freeview Play Recorder with Google Assistant and Chromecast - 1TB
- Ultra High Definition - up to 4x the picture quality with 4K UHD and HDR
- Android TV - easy setup with your Google Account, access your favourite apps and games
- Google Play Store - over 5000 Apps and Games including Amazon Prime Video, Disney+ and BT Sport
- Google Assistant - access Entertainment, change the volume, get answers, and more using your voice remote
- Smart Home Control - use your voice to create the perfect viewing environment. Control Smart Home devices like lighting, adjust the temperature and more
Android 10.0 TV Box X96 Mini 2020 Upgraded Version X96Q 2GB RAM 16GB ROM Smart TV Box Allwinner H313 Quad Core Support 4K 3D Set Top Box X96 Mini Wifi Home Media Player
- 【Latest Android 10.0 OS & Allwinner H313 Quad-Core】Android tv box comes with the latest Android 10.0 OS and Allwinner H313 Quad-Core chipset, which is faster and more efficient.X96Q Super TV box can help your applications start faster, consume less memory, and run more smoothly,giving you greater user experience.
- 【2GB DDR3 16GB EMMC】This X96Q android mini PC box is built with high speed 2GB RAM with 16GB ROM, with our newest efficiently optimized android system, it provide a extremely high frequency and responsive performance. You can also add an extra TF card to expand storage up to 64GB.Say goodbye to buffering, lagging and freezing, it bring a excellent experience beyond your expectation.
- 【3D 4K wifi TV BOX】X96Q 2020 model media player supports decoding and playing almost all popular audio and video formats, bringing you to enjoy 4K ultimate HD video. Professional H.265 video decoding technology can saves 50% of bandwidth resources.More over,You could watch 3D movies at home no need to go to the cinema.
- 【More Function】Smart tv box android 10.0 X96mini upgraded version X96Q supports change the wallpapers, which can personalize your TV background. In addition, the movies, musics, photos on your android /IOS devices can be shared on the big screen and the best speakers by DLNA/Airplay to enjoy the best entertainment experience!
- 【Easy to Use】Just plug in the power supply and connect the android box HDMI cable and Wi-Fi(2.4Ghz)&Ethernet(10/100M,RJ-45), you can watch whatever you like.We provide Lifetime Technical Support.If you have any issue,please don't hesitate to contact us,we will do our best to help.
Cello ZG0234 43” Smart Android TV with Freeview Play, Google Assistant, Google Chromecast, 3 x HDMI and 2 x USB | Made in the UK (2020 model)
3 used from £276.20
- OFFICIAL ANDROID TV: The all-new smart user interface designed by Google exclusively for TV devices.
- GOOGLE PLAY STORE: All the most popular apps are either pre-loaded or available for download from the Google Play store for Android TV.
- ENTERTAINMENT APPS: Easily access Netflix, Prime Video, BBC iPlayer, Disney+, YouTube, ITV Hub, More 4 and Demand 5.
- GOOGLE ASSISTANT: Just say “Ok Google” or press the mic button on the remote to quickly find the latest movies, check the football scores or control home devices.
- GOOGLE CHROMECAST: Cast photos, videos, music and other content from your favourite devices straight to the TV.