The Aroccom 7″ tablet enters a busy market with a price of £179, making it far more expensive than low cost tablets, a little more expensive than an 8″ Samsung tablet, and only slightly cheaper than the 10.1″ Samsung Galaxy Tablet.
Given the price things didn’t get off to a good start, with the logo on the back coming off in my hands as I was unpacking it!
The big unique selling point for Aroccom is the glasses free 3D screen. It does work to a point, but seems like a gimmick rather than a must have. The tablet comes pre-loaded with 3 apps that take advantage of the screen, a photo viewer, game centre and video player. Opening the photo viewer and you’re presented with a range of photos to take a look at, including some scantily clad women, the manufacturers clearly aren’t targeting a family audience then!
The photo app worked fine, the games app was OK, the video app was rubbish and didn’t work. Ignore those 3 apps and load up your own and things start to look a little better. The Aroccom tablet ran Netflix well and video looked good on the screen. There is a HDMI out port so you could use this with a TV, although frustratingly no HDMI cable was included (but a minion keyring was, go figure).
Gaming on the Aroccom was a similar mixed bag, a newer racing game ran, but not as smoothly as on some mobiles. When swapped for an older game the tablet had no problems, the game ran smoothly, responded well and was good fun to play on the 7″ screen. It’s light enough that game playing doesn’t also mean getting a workout from holding the tablet up for long periods.
Other apps ran fine, for example Spotify looked great and was very smooth.
The tablet has a SIM card slot should you wish to use this as a giant mobile (or to just give it data access on the go).
Aroccom’s inclusion of a SIM card slot and the 3D screen have pushed the price of this tablet up to a silly price. These are two function you likely wouldn’t miss and have meant the areas you might want to use have suffered. There’s a lot of competition with Android tablets and unfortunately this one is priced too high for an average performance.
Do yourself a favour and either go cheaper, such as the Tesco Hudl or Samsung Tab 3, or spend a little more and get the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1.
All-new Fire HD 8 Kids Edition tablet | 8" HD display, 32 GB, Blue Kid-Proof Case
£84.99 in stock
- A full-featured 8" HD tablet (not a toy) with a kid-proof case, parental controls, 2-year worry-free guarantee and 1 year of Amazon Kids+ (Fire for Kids Unlimited) with apps, games and videos.
- 2-year worry-free guarantee: if it breaks, return it and we'll replace it for free.
- The included 1-year subscription to Amazon Kids+ gives kids access to thousands of popular apps, games, videos, books and audiobooks, including content from Disney, Nickelodeon and Sesame Street.
- Create screen-time limits and set educational goals remotely from your smartphone using Amazon Parent Dashboard or the Kids Edition tablet.
- Stream through Wi-Fi or view downloaded content on the go with 32 GB of internal storage. Add a microSD card for up to 1 TB of additional storage.
Fire 7 Tablet | 7" display, 16 GB, Black - with Ads
£34.99 in stock
- 7" IPS display, 16 or 32 GB of internal storage (up to 512 GB of expandable storage with microSD).
- Faster 1.3 GHz quad-core processor and 1 GB of RAM.
- Up to 7 hours of reading, surfing the web, watching video and listening to music.
- Enjoy your favourite apps like BBC iPlayer, Netflix, Disney+, Facebook, Instagram, TikTok, YouTube and more through the Amazon Appstore (Google Play Store not supported). Subscription fees may apply.
- Now hands free with Alexa.
Fire 7 Kids Edition Tablet | 7" Display, 16 GB, Blue Kid-Proof Case
£54.99 in stock
- A full-featured 7" tablet, including a blue kid-proof case with kick-stand, parental controls, 2-year worry-free guarantee and 1 year of Amazon Kids+ (Fire for Kids Unlimited) with apps, games and videos.
- Not just a toy, but a 7" tablet with 16 GB of storage and up to 7 hours of battery life.
- If it breaks, return it and we'll replace it for free with our 2-year worry-free guarantee.
- Includes a 1-year subscription to Amazon Kids+ giving kids access to thousands of popular apps, games, videos, books and Audible audiobooks, including content from Disney, Nickelodeon and Sesame Street.
- Set time limits and educational goals remotely from your smartphone using Amazon Parent Dashboard, or the Kids Edition tablet.