The AudioCast is a low cost dongle that adds streaming services to your existing speaker setup.
For a long time the only option for a multi room sound system was the invest in Sonos speakers, these days you can buy low cost multi speaker systems such as the August WiFi speaker system, but what if you’ve an existing system you don’t want to replace?
While modern amps and speakers often have services such as Spoity Connect included many older systems, which are still brilliant sounding systems, don’t and that’s where the AudioCast can help.
It’s a small, circular, dongle that comes with an aux cable and USB power cable/plug. Aside from a set of instructions there isn’t anything else in the box, yet despite the minimal design this little gadget can add a lot of cool features to your music system.
Setup didn’t take too long, you plug the aux cable into your amp/speakers, power on the dongle and run the free app which will get the AudioCast connected to your network.
If you have problems with this method the manual explains how to connect directly to the AudioCast to allow you to set the network connection via a web portal.
Once connected to WiFi the AudioCast appears in the app and is ready to use.
The app lists a wide range of streaming sources that can be used including the big players of Spotify, Pandora, Tidal and TuneIn radio. You can also stream to it via Bluetooth, handy if you have friends over who want to share music but don’t want to go to the trouble of setting up the app.
To start with the app list can be a bit of an overwhelming list with there being so many options so it’s great to see the option to deactivate the options you don’t use to give you a cleaner interface.
If you’re a Spotify user you’ll be pleased to know the AudioCast is Spotify Connect compatible, allowing you to send music to your speakers via the Spotify app.
While one AudioCast is great, multiple units open up the world of multi room sound systems. Buy a second dongle for a second system and they’ll both appear in the app. They can play music independently of each other, or play the same track at the same time.
If you have two mono speakers you can set one to left and one to right giving you a stereo sound system.
If this sounds familiar it’s because the underlying system has been used in the aforementioned August WiFi speaker system and brilliantly these can be used together, a real advantage of other multiroom systems as it means you can use a range of products rather than be locked to a specific manufacturer.
As you’ll see in the review video below the system works really well, playing the same track across 3 devices. The track used was actually streamed via Bluetooth to all 3. In this configuration one device acts as the master so you only need a single Spotify connect premium account, but if you want to stream different songs to different devices you’d need multiple Spotify accounts (or use different streaming services).
The AudioCast is a low cost way to add a fantastic range of features to existing audio equipment and can be picked up from:
- Amazon UK: http://amzn.to/2wwiuwN
- Amazon USA: http://amzn.to/2vtLR65
- Amazon.ca: http://amzn.to/2vtvINZ
AudioCast Music Streaming Dongle Video Review
1mii Bluetooth 5.0 Receiver, Bluetooth Audio Adapter with 3D Surround aptX Low Latency for Streaming Music from Smartphone/Tablet to RCA/3.5mm Aux AV Receiver and Home Stereo Speaker-B06
1 used from £24.96
- 【PLUG, PAIR, PLAY】Upgrade 1Mii B06 comes with Bluetooth 5.0 feature. Use your own 5V power adapter, and plug this Bluetooth audio receiver into 3.5 mm or RCA input wired speaker/home stereo system, then pair with smartphone or tablet. Enjoy wireless music streaming. Note: B06 is a RECEIVER only, CAN'T use as Transmitter.
- 【BLUETOOTH 5.0 Hi-Fi SOUND】It features latest Bluetooth 5.0 chip to ensure high fidelity Bluetooth audio signal for music streaming to 3.5 mm or RCA input speaker or home stereo system. Support aptx and aptX Low Latency (aptx-LL). And 3D audio can be switched on or off by pressing “3D” button on the Bluetooth audio adapter. Green LED means 3D surround effect.
- 【POWER ON AND RECONNECT AUTOMATICALLY】When plugged into a power outlet, the Hi-Fi Bluetooth audio receiver can power on automatically and reconnect with the previously paired device. 1Mii Bluetooth receiver can pair with two smartphones, tablets or bluetooth PC simultaneously which allows you to play music from either your phone, tablet or bluetooth PC.
- 【164FT LONG RANGE】With Class 1 Bluetooth technology, the 1Mii Bluetooth receiver can achieve a range of up to 164ft (50m) line-of-sight in open air and up to 50-70ft (20-30m) indoors(without obstacles).
- 【WORKS WITH VOICE COMMANDS】Connect this Bluetooth hifi adapter to your speaker via a 3.5mm jack or RCA cable, pair B06 with your Echo via Bluetooth on the Alexa app, it is easy to control your music with voice commands. Please make sure to use the audio cable to connect the Bluetooth receiver with your speaker, and Bluetooth pairing with Echo.
Logitech Wireless Bluetooth Audio Receiver, Bluetooth Adapter for PC/Mac/Smartphone/Tablet/AV Receiver, 3.5mm Audio and RCA Outputs to Speakers, One-Push Pairing Button, UK Plug - Black/Blue
4 used from £21.95
- Smart Connectivity : This Bluetooth mini-receiver from Logitech allows users to connect to multiple portable devices wirelessly at the same time - for a sound system that can adapt to your every need
- One Click Wonder : It's simple with this Bluetooth audio adapter - just push the pairing button on the top for instant connectivity with your audio devices, and devices automatically reconnect when in range
- Multi-Device Compatibility : The Bluetooth receiver works with PC speakers, home stereo surround sound systems, and AV receivers to transform your speakers into a wireless sound system
- Premium Audio : The connectivity between this Bluetooth audio adapter and devices delivers flawless Hifi-Stereo audio quality and stunning acoustics - so you don't miss a detail
- Reliable Range : This Bluetooth receiver has a range of up to 15 m line of sight, for full control of your sound system from the comfort of your chair
LAYEN i-SYNC Bluetooth Adapter Audio Receiver Dongle for Hi-Fi, Stereos and Docking Stations (Not for Cars)
£24.99 in stock
- ★ 30PIN BLUETOOTH MUSIC RECEIVER - The LAYEN i-SYNC is a brilliant little gadget that will give your favourite old Dock or Stereo a new lease of life. Turn your old Dock / Stereo / Hi-Fi wireless and stream audio from any Bluetooth enabled Smartphone, Tablet, MP3 player, PC or Laptop. No more docking your MP3 or phone! [As featured in the Financial Times Gadget Supplement]
- ★ SIMPLE AND QUICK PAIRING - Go Bluetooth in as little as 90 seconds. No technical expertise required! This simple plug and play adapter is slim, sleek and portable and looks fantastic in any docking station. With premium scratch proof casing and a transmission distance of 10m+ away. Direct line of sight works best, but can even work through walls!
- ★ ENJOY YOUR MUSIC COLLECTION - at your convenience. Listen through Amazon Music or Xbox music; stream live Radio, listen to YouTube or through your favourite app, like Spotify or SoundCloud.
- ★ CONNECT TO ALEXA - Fancy controlling your Bose with voice activated function? Pair the i-SYNC to your Amazon Echo or Echo Dot via the Alexa app to really bring it up to date!
- ★ COMPATIBILITY - PLEASE SEE THE IMAGES FOR YOUR DOCK - Compatible with all Bluetooth Transmitting devices: Smartphones, Tablets, Bluetooth Laptop, PC. NOT compatible with all Bowers and Wilkins, Yamaha, Bang and Olufsen and digital CAR stereos. For Cars or non-compatible docks please purchase one of our AUX receivers (search ASIN B082DKVVFF or B082DLF6LT)