The DVB400 is compact and easy to setup, plug your aerial into the receiver, and a HDMI cable from the receiver into your TV. Turn everything on and the box will scan for available channels, both standard and HD. The HD picture quality is excellent, visually it’s far better than standard definition and it breathes new life into an aging TV set.
The remote is OK, it’s fairly small compared to most remotes these day and it feels rather cramped.
On the front of the unit is a USB port, this allows you to plug a USB memory stick or external hard drive in and use this to record TV shows. This area could do with a bit of work, while it’s functional and works OK, it’s not easy to use and I don’t think YouView/Virgin/Sky have anything to be especially worried about. One advantage over the big boys is that you can then take your recordings and transfer them to your PC/NAS/tablet, although August really need to sort out the file name as it currently just shows the channel and the date/time stamp so when you’ve a lot of recordings you’ve no way of easily finding what you’re after.
If you are planning on using the recording function there are a few other things to be aware of, there isn’t a series link feature
For a second TV, perhaps the old one in the bedroom, this is a brilliant way to add HD channels. If you’re looking for something in the living room then it’d be better to investigate freeview recorders or YouView boxes, as they offer a far slicker recording system and some have additional features such as catch up services.
The August DVB400 HD Freeview Set Top Box is available on Amazon now: http://goo.gl/QHVmmm
HD Freeview Set Top Box – August DVB400 - Watch, Record, Play and Pause Live TV in 1080p High Definition - SCART and HDMI AV Out for Old and New Televisions
£29.15 in stock
4 used from £24.95
- WATCH FREEVIEW IN FULL HD - The DVB400 allows you to experience Freeview in Full HD quality
- RECORD TO STORAGE DEVICE - With a USB PVR, you can record all your favourite shows to EXTERNAL hard drive or USB stick to save forever
- AUDIO OUT - Coaxial audio out allows you to connect easily to sound bars and stereo systems for truly awesome sound
- PAUSE LIVE TV - Record Time Shift and EPG (Electronic Programme Guide) allow you to plan your viewing and pause the action
- Max Resolution: 1080p - Video Output: HDMI / SCART - Audio Output: HDMI / SCART / Coaxial
DURAGADGET Extra Long, High Resolution 2M HDMI Transfer Cable - Compatible with the August DVB415 | DVB400 | DVB500 HD Freeview Set Top Boxes
£8.99 in stock
- 2m HDMI cable for perfect high-resolution full HD quality, 1920 x 1080 pixels
- Gold-plated plug for improved contact quality and optimal signal transmission
- High speed transmission up to 10.2 Gbit/s for all image and sound standards
- Fully shielded, extra thick, audio and video lines for optimum reduction of electromagnetic interference
- Suitable for use with any device with a HDMI port, including Freeview boxes, DVD players, Blu-Ray players, TV's, PS3, Xbox, Laptops etc.
Freeview Set Top Box Recorder - August DVB415 - 1080P Freeview HD Recorder HDMI and Scart Set-Top Box Receiver Digital TV Receiver with Multimedia Player PVR for Recording
6 used from £24.95
- RECORD TO USB STICK – *A USB is required to record TV* Simply attach your USB and utilise the DVR capabilities of the DVB415. Watch your files back through the Box or your PC
- SCHEDULE YOUR RECORDINGS - Never miss your favourite shows with the simple and easy to use recording function - Playback with ease from your USB or HDD
- WATCH YOUR MOVIE FILES ON TV - Bought a great movie in digital format and want to watch it on your TV not your laptop? The DVB415 acts as a Multimedia Centre giving you the ability to play back a wide range of file types on your TV
- PAUSE AND REWIND LIVE TV - The DVB415 is equipped with Timeshift, EPG and Red Button content so keeping up to date with all your shows is simple
- ENJOY FREEVIEW TV IN HD - The 1080p Freeview HD Tuner inside the DVB415 allows you to watch and record free to air television in full HD quality through HDMI or Scart Cable.