The August WR320 is the latest addition to the August WiFi speaker range and it allows you to connect your existing speaker setup to your WiFi network in order to access music streaming services.
In the box you get the WR320, two aux cables, a USB cable for power (all of which are anti tangle cables) and an aux to phono cable (which isn’t anti tangle). Note there isn’t a USB plug included, you’ll need to provide one of those.
Setup was very easy, plug this into your speakers via one of the various options available (which includes optical), power up the box and open the August app on your mobile/tablet.
The app will guide you through the rest of the process and it takes care of getting the unit onto your WiFi network. If you struggle with the setup make sure to check your mobile is on the correct WiFi band as many routers have a newer, faster 5G band, you need to ensure your mobile is connected to the 2.4G band instead.
Once networked up you can use Spotify (premium account required) on your mobile to start music playing. It streams directly from Spotify, you could turn your phone off and it’ll keep playing. There are a range of other streaming options,including music stored on your mobile
So far, so Amazon Dot, minus Alexa. However there is a trick up the WR320 sleeve that the Dot can’t (at the time of review) do: Multi room streaming.
If you already have August WiFi speakers this drops into the same app and works in exactly the same way when it comes to grouping speakers together so they all play the same music at the same time, your existing speakers become part of the August speaker ecosystem.
The multi speaker music works really well, music is synchronised up allowing you to either fill the room with music from multiple directions or you can dot speakers around your house and walk from room to room with the same track playing at the same point. To avoid confusion you can rename this to a more location friendly name, for example ‘family room’.
This works really well but does have direct competition in the form of the similarly priced Amazon Dot. If you already have the August WiFi speakers this is a logical addition to the system if you want to add your existing speakers into the mix, but if you don’t have an existing August setup the Dot, with it’s voice controlled AI, is a compelling alternative.
Who knows, perhaps August will making their WiFi speakers compatible with Alexa, allowing control of the entire system via your voice.
Available from Amazon UK: http://amzn.to/2dSIX2Q
August WR320 WiFi Audio Receiver Video Review
WiFi Audio Receiver -August WR320 - Multiroom Adaptor for Speaker Systems - Convert Wired Speakers into Wireless - WiFi, Aux, Ethernet and Airplay Compatibility
- Stream Crystal Clear Lossless Sound throughout your Home - Control individual or combined playlists and streaming services for multiple speakers from the iPhone or Android App
- Enjoy your own Music, Great Streaming Services and Internet Radio - Spotify, Tidal, Tune In and iHeart Radio can all be streamed around your home
- Link Multiple Speakers by Room or Control them Separately - Use your Android or Apple Portable Devices to set up August Speaker Groups and control what plays in each room
- Add your Current Stereo to your WiFi Sound System - Connect to your aux in via 3.5mm or optical cable
WiFi & Bluetooth Music Streamer Receiver | Arylic S10 | Airplay DLNA UPnP | Multi-Room Sync | Spotify, Tidal, TuneInRadio, iHeartRadio, Deezer etc | LAN Connection | 24bit 192kHz Decoding
£54.99 in stock
- WiFi & Bluetooth Music Streamer | The S10 connects to traditional HiFis, Speakers or Sound Systems and converts them into a wireless streaming system. You can enjoy high quality lossless music wirelessly streamed from your phone, tablet, laptop and PC. Supports AirPlay, DLNA & UPnP protocols
- Integrated Streaming Services | Supports streaming from Spotify, Tidal, TuneInRadio, iHeartRadio, VTuner, Deezer, QoBuz and more. Audio is streamed directly from the internet to the S10 – NOT through your phone and will continue to play if you disconnect your phone from WiFi.
- Multiroom Streaming | Connect multiple devices from the Arylic range and stream synchronised wireless audio around your home or stream different content from a single phone, tablet or PC
- Bluetooth | The S10 also supports Bluetooth streaming. The Bluetooth connection can be used to stream from any sources that are unavailable through Wi-Fi. This sound can also be transmitted through the multiroom feature.
- Quick & easy one touch WiFi set up. Connect to your router or network via Ethernet cable to enable network integration instantly. The receiver will be immediately accessible to any devices on your home network whether wired or via WiFi. Purchase with confidence from a trusted UK supplier with fast and friendly support.
Echo Dot (3rd Gen) - Smart speaker with Alexa - Charcoal Fabric
£34.99 in stock
- Our most popular smart speaker: now with a fabric design and improved speaker for richer and louder sound.
- Voice control your music: stream songs from Amazon Music, Apple Music, Spotify, TuneIn and others. You can also listen to audiobooks from Audible.
- Bigger, better sound: pair with a second Echo Dot for rich, stereo sound. Fill your home with music with compatible Echo devices in different rooms.
- Ready to help: ask Alexa to play music, answer questions, read the news, check the weather, set alarms, control compatible smart home devices and more.
- Connect with others: call almost anyone hands free including UK mobile and residential numbers (from UK only), other Echo devices, Alexa app and Skype. Link your Vodafone account to make and receive mobile calls. Instantly drop in on other rooms in your home or make an announcement to every room with a compatible Echo device.