The August WR320 is the latest addition to the August WiFi speaker range and it allows you to connect your existing speaker setup to your WiFi network in order to access music streaming services.
In the box you get the WR320, two aux cables, a USB cable for power (all of which are anti tangle cables) and an aux to phono cable (which isn’t anti tangle). Note there isn’t a USB plug included, you’ll need to provide one of those.
Setup was very easy, plug this into your speakers via one of the various options available (which includes optical), power up the box and open the August app on your mobile/tablet.
The app will guide you through the rest of the process and it takes care of getting the unit onto your WiFi network. If you struggle with the setup make sure to check your mobile is on the correct WiFi band as many routers have a newer, faster 5G band, you need to ensure your mobile is connected to the 2.4G band instead.
Once networked up you can use Spotify (premium account required) on your mobile to start music playing. It streams directly from Spotify, you could turn your phone off and it’ll keep playing. There are a range of other streaming options,including music stored on your mobile
So far, so Amazon Dot, minus Alexa. However there is a trick up the WR320 sleeve that the Dot can’t (at the time of review) do: Multi room streaming.
If you already have August WiFi speakers this drops into the same app and works in exactly the same way when it comes to grouping speakers together so they all play the same music at the same time, your existing speakers become part of the August speaker ecosystem.
The multi speaker music works really well, music is synchronised up allowing you to either fill the room with music from multiple directions or you can dot speakers around your house and walk from room to room with the same track playing at the same point. To avoid confusion you can rename this to a more location friendly name, for example ‘family room’.
This works really well but does have direct competition in the form of the similarly priced Amazon Dot. If you already have the August WiFi speakers this is a logical addition to the system if you want to add your existing speakers into the mix, but if you don’t have an existing August setup the Dot, with it’s voice controlled AI, is a compelling alternative.
Who knows, perhaps August will making their WiFi speakers compatible with Alexa, allowing control of the entire system via your voice.
Available from Amazon UK: http://amzn.to/2dSIX2Q
August WR320 WiFi Audio Receiver Video Review
WiFi Audio Receiver -August WR320 - Multiroom Adaptor for Speaker Systems - Convert Wired Speakers into Wireless - WiFi, Aux, Ethernet and Airplay Compatibility
- Stream Crystal Clear Lossless Sound throughout your Home - Control individual or combined playlists and streaming services for multiple speakers from the iPhone or Android App
- Enjoy your own Music, Great Streaming Services and Internet Radio - Spotify, Tidal, Tune In and iHeart Radio can all be streamed around your home
- Link Multiple Speakers by Room or Control them Separately - Use your Android or Apple Portable Devices to set up August Speaker Groups and control what plays in each room
- Add your Current Stereo to your WiFi Sound System - Connect to your aux in via 3.5mm or optical cable
Docooler M5 AudioCast HIFI Music Receiver Airplay DLNA IOS & Android Airmusic 2.4G WIFI Audio Speaker for Home/Car Stere System Car Receiver
1 used from £39.19
- WPS One Button Click for WiFi Connection: Save complicated and trouble set up procedure.
- Streaming from cell phone memory / UPNP Server / Online Music Service.
- Stereo Pair: Turn two M5 into separate left and right channel speakers to create wider, bigger, and deeper sound.
- Rich music service: for Sportify, for Pandora, for iHeartRadio, More coming with updates, such as for Tital, for Dezzer, for GoogleMusic, for Tunein.
- Wireless Multi-Room & Multi-Channel Audio Streaming: Drug and play, easiest multi room control system in the world.
Goodmans Module WiFi Audio Adaptor with Spotify Connect - iOS, Android Smartphone and Tablet Control
- Spotify Connect
- Hi-Res Audio
- Multi-room Streaming
- Smartphone Control
- Dual Band WiFi