The August WR320 is the latest addition to the August WiFi speaker range and it allows you to connect your existing speaker setup to your WiFi network in order to access music streaming services.
In the box you get the WR320, two aux cables, a USB cable for power (all of which are anti tangle cables) and an aux to phono cable (which isn’t anti tangle). Note there isn’t a USB plug included, you’ll need to provide one of those.
Setup was very easy, plug this into your speakers via one of the various options available (which includes optical), power up the box and open the August app on your mobile/tablet.
The app will guide you through the rest of the process and it takes care of getting the unit onto your WiFi network. If you struggle with the setup make sure to check your mobile is on the correct WiFi band as many routers have a newer, faster 5G band, you need to ensure your mobile is connected to the 2.4G band instead.
Once networked up you can use Spotify (premium account required) on your mobile to start music playing. It streams directly from Spotify, you could turn your phone off and it’ll keep playing. There are a range of other streaming options,including music stored on your mobile
So far, so Amazon Dot, minus Alexa. However there is a trick up the WR320 sleeve that the Dot can’t (at the time of review) do: Multi room streaming.
If you already have August WiFi speakers this drops into the same app and works in exactly the same way when it comes to grouping speakers together so they all play the same music at the same time, your existing speakers become part of the August speaker ecosystem.
The multi speaker music works really well, music is synchronised up allowing you to either fill the room with music from multiple directions or you can dot speakers around your house and walk from room to room with the same track playing at the same point. To avoid confusion you can rename this to a more location friendly name, for example ‘family room’.
This works really well but does have direct competition in the form of the similarly priced Amazon Dot. If you already have the August WiFi speakers this is a logical addition to the system if you want to add your existing speakers into the mix, but if you don’t have an existing August setup the Dot, with it’s voice controlled AI, is a compelling alternative.
Who knows, perhaps August will making their WiFi speakers compatible with Alexa, allowing control of the entire system via your voice.
Available from Amazon UK: http://amzn.to/2dSIX2Q
August WR320 WiFi Audio Receiver Video Review
August WiFi Audio Receiver WR320 - Multiroom Adaptor for Speaker Systems - Convert Wired Speakers into Wireless - WiFi, Aux, Ethernet and Airplay Compatibility
- Stream Crystal Clear Lossless Sound throughout your Home - Control individual or combined playlists and streaming services for multiple speakers from the iPhone or Android App
- Enjoy your own Music, Great Streaming Services and Internet Radio - Spotify, Tidal, Tune In and iHeart Radio can all be streamed around your home
- Link Multiple Speakers by Room or Control them Separately - Use your Android or Apple Portable Devices to set up August Speaker Groups and control what plays in each room
- Add your Current Stereo to your WiFi Sound System - Connect to your aux in via 3.5mm or optical cable
August Bluetooth Adaptor for Wired Headphones MR220 - Add Wireless Audio to your Earphones and Stereo Systems with a Rechargeable Sound Receiver
- Bluetooth Music Receiver - Make any stereo a Bluetooth sound system capable of wirelessly playing music from your mobile, iPhone, PC, MP3 player
- Plug & Play System - Pairs to your Bluetooth device simply and swiftly
- No Software Needed - Use your mobile phones native media player to control the music
- Standard 3.5mm Audio Out - Compatible with any car stereo or speaker with 3.5mm audio socket
- Built In Rechargeable Battery – Works anywhere and can easily be recharged using a USB port
August Portable Freeview TV for iOS and Android DVB-T405 - Watch and Record Live Freeview on Phones and Tablets/No Mobile Data or WiFi Required - Rechargeable Battery
£33.95 in stock
- WiFi Freeview Transmitter - Turn your Smartphone, Tablet or iPad into a Mobile TV, making it perfect for Camping and Caravan Trips
- HD Recorder- Record Programmes to watch when Travelling
- Free to Watch - Simply use the Free Siano TV or August 405 App to watch TV with no subscription required
- Portable Aerial Included- Simply connect a Rooftop, Indoor or Portable Aerial to use the device
- Compatible with FREE August 405 App on iOS and Android (Excluding models purchased before 2019)