August have been responsible for some great products and now they’re looking at taking on Sonos by providing a more budget friendly option for those looking to setup up a multi room speaker system.
At the time of review two speakers had been launched, the WS300 and the WS150. They share the same look, rectangular blocks with chunky buttons on the top, but the main difference is the WS300 is larger and better suited to staying in your home or office whereas the WS150 is more of a portable speaker.
The WS150 is the smaller of the set, this is a more traditional sized Bluetooth speaker that also happens to pack in WiFi. Around the back of the WS150 you’ll find the USB charging port, on off switch, Aux in port and a MicroSD card slot.
Sound quality is very good considering the small size, it’s easily able to fill a room and offers a good all round quality. A decent bass, but for a bit more umph you’re going to want to get the big brother.
Following the same design as the portable WS150 this looks almost identical, just bigger. The main difference is round the back there is no microSD card reader, but there is a USB out port that allows you to charge your gadgets.
There is a battery in this so it is portable, but it’s more portable around the home/office/garden than throw it in your bag portable.
Again the sound quality is excellent, it’s not just the speaker that is bigger the sound is too, the bass is bigger, the quality is a little better, it’s a great speaker to have for the home.
Both speaker can be used as a Bluetooth speaker, streaming music directly from your mobile, but to really get the most of this you want to set them up on WiFi.
Setup is made very easy thanks to the August app. Note that if you have a problem connecting the speaker to your WiFi network it might be because you phone is connected on the 5G WiFi band and the speaker can only connect via the 2.4G WiFi band.
Within the app you can see the current compatible streaming services, at the time of review that includes Spotify, Tidal, Pandora, TuneIn, iHeartRadio and the ability to stream from your mobile, it doesn’t currently support include Amazon Music or Apple Music. Hopefully additional services can be added as the product matures.
If streaming over WiFi you don’t need to worry about your device being close to the speaker, you don’t even need to be in the same room, you just need to be connected to your home network and you can control the speaker.
There is an additional advantage to being a WiFi speaker, if you have multiple speakers you can create a multi speaker setup. The speakers can either play different music or all play the same music and this is all controlled via the app.
The system works brilliantly, with music in sync across all speakers. You still have control of the individual speaker volumes, handy if you want to create a party area and then a more chilled area with lower volume music.
The speakers can also be unpaired and used individually, although note that if you use a paid service such as Spotify you’ll need 1 paid account for each speaker, so 3 speakers needs 3 accounts to listen to 3 different tracks. When the speakers are linked they act as 1 speaker so only a single Spotify account is required.
Both speakers are brilliant as stand alone units, and getting just a single speaker can be the start of a multi room system for far less than the better known brands, but get a few of these units together and you have a lot of flexibility be they in the same room or in different rooms.
August WS150 and WS300 WiFi Multi Room Speaker Video Review
Kingfisher Technology - 2m Black USB Charger Charging Power Cable Lead Adaptor (22AWG) Compatible with August WS150 / WS300 WiFi Speakers
- Brand new, high quality USB 2.0 Charging cable compatible with August WS150 / WS300 WiFi Speakers
- Charging currents of up to 2A are supported
- Cable is made from high quality 22AWG gauge copper
- Colour: Black - Length: 2m
- Please note this cable is made by Kingfisher Technology and is compatible with August WS150 / WS300 WiFi Speakers, it is not an OEM cable.
Wifi Multiroom Wireless Stereo WiFi Speaker - August WS150 – WiFi, Bluetooth and NFC Enabled, Compatible with Spotify, Tidal, Tune In and More! - 10W
1 used from £49.95
- STREAM MUSIC THROUGHOUT YOUR HOME - App controlled speakers allow you to control music throughout your house from your Phone or Tablet. Create your own portable surround sound system with WiFi Speakers.
- CONNECT SPOTIFY / TIDAL / IHEART RADIO - Set your speakers to play your favourite Playlists from streaming services or your Phones Media Library.
- CONNECT VIA BLUETOOTH OR WIFI - Connect devices via Bluetooth or WiFi!
- APP FOR ANDROID AND APPLE - Create soundscapes by linking speakers to play the same music or different tunes in each room of your home.
- BRING GREAT SOUND WITH YOU - A Battery Life of up to 22 Hours allows you to use the Speakers both Indoors and Outdoors
TP-Link N300 Wireless Outdoor Access Point, Waterproof, Ideal for Garden Wi-Fi, Support Passive PoE, Flexible Installation, Simply Managed by Free EAP Controller Software (EAP110-Outdoor)
- Wireless speed up to 300 Mbps Wi-Fi with 2x2 MIMO technology
- Built for outdoor Wi-Fi applications, ideal for garden Wi-Fi
- Durable, weatherproof enclosure to withstand fair and foul weather. Interface : 1 10/100M Ethernet Port (RJ45)
- Secure access points to walls or poles with the mounting kits provided
- Free Omada Controller software allows users to manage one single EAP to hundreds of EAPs