AVM have been quietly releasing a range of routers into the UK, for example the recently reviewed Fritz!Box 7560 which wasn’t just a router but also a telephone system.
But what if you don’t require a telephone system as part of the router? If you’re happy with a basic landline the 7560 is overkill and you’d be overpaying for features you’d never use.
In steps the Fritz!Box 4040, a box that does away with the phone system side of things to deliver the core Fritz!OS experience at a much lower cost to the 7560.
Design wise the Fritz!Box 4040 follows the standard AVM format of red and silver with little fins sticking out of the top. On the top there is a WPS and WLAN button, on the left hand side is a USB port, the back has a USB 3 port along with 4 Ethernet connectors and the WLAN connector for your internet connection.
The 4040 can be wall mounted and it’s designed so the rear ports face downwards.
If you currently have a basic ISP provided router you’ll likely find any AVM Fritz!Box a breath of fresh air when it comes to the interface, known as Fritz!OS. At the time of review the unit arrived with version 6.55 but this was easily updated to version 6.83 via the update wizard. The interface is silky smooth to use and offers a lot of powerful features.
One of the most interesting features is the ability to plug in a USB drive (the recently reviewed ADATA SD700 was used in the review video below) to turn the Fritz!Box 4040 into a NAS drive. Once connected the drive and it’s contents are accessible to a range of devices, making sharing content very easy.
It has tons of other options, you can setup guest access, access the router remotely, check devices connected, reduced power usage by reducing port speed, etc. It’s safe to say this has a very comprehensive set of features!
The Fritz!Box 4040 can be tricky to get hold of in the UK, try searching eBay: http://ebay.to/2rp4Xr8
AVM Fritz!Box 4040 Router Video Review
AVM FRITZ!Box 7590 Flagship Router with Integrated Modem, Supervectoring, Smart WiFi, FRITZ!OS, FRITZ!App Fon (UK & Ireland Version)
2 used from £ 199.81
- AC 2533, 4x4 MU-MIMO WiFi Router (1.733 Mbps 5GHz and 800 Mbps 2.4GHz), Mesh, for faster and better coverage, VDSL/ADSL2+ Modem, Gigabit WAN port for connectivity with a modem cable or fiber optic terminal
- 4 x Gigabit LAN for connecting computers and video consoles, 2 x USB 3.0 for printers, network storage devices or 3G/4G USB modem, media server (UPnP AV), FRITZ!NAS
- Telephone unit for IP telephony (VoIP) or fixed with Voice-to-Mail and Fax, integrated DECT base station for six wireless phones, analog phone ports and RDSI
- Supports Movistar IPTV, configurable parental control, FRITZ!OS with free periodic updates, user interface in Spanish
- Box contents: FRITZ!Box 7590, 4 m telephone/DSL connection cable, 1.5 m LAN cable, power supply, quick installation guide in Spanish
AVM Fritz!Box 7530 Wireless Router WLAN AC+N Router (DSL/VDSL, 866 MBit/s (5GHz) and 400 MBit/s (2,4 GHz) with Supervectoring, Smart WiFi, FRITZ!OS, FRITZ!App, UK Version
- INTERFACES: VDSL or ADSL connection; IP-based telephony; 4 x gigabit Ethernet; WAN via LAN 1 port; Wireless AC with up to 866Mbit/s (5 GHz); Wireless N with up to 400 Mbit/s (2.4 GHz); Dual wireless LAN; 1 x fast USB port for printers and storage media; DECT base station for up to six handsets; 1 x a/b port for analog telephones, answering machines or fax machines on an IP-based line
AVM FRITZ!Box 4040 Wireless Router for Connecting to Cable, DSL, Fibreglass Modem, Dual WLAN AC + N, 866 Mbps (5 GHz) and 400 Mbps (2.4 GHz), 4 x Gigabit LAN, 1 x USB 3.0, 1 x USB 2.0, Media Server
1 used from £ 74.47
- WLAN router for connection to an existing network, a cable/DSL/fiber modem (WAN) or UMTS/HSPA/LTE stick (USB); German version. Gaming consoles and network-compatible devices like TVs or printers can be connected in no time via cable over gigabit LAN
- WLAN AC + N with up to 866 Mbps (5 GHz) and 400 Mbps (2.4 GHz), WLAN or LAN guest access to the Internet for visitors without accessing the home network
- NAS function allows USB and online storage to be used as networked storage, access remotely via MyFRITZ!
- 4x Gigabit Ethernet for connecting computers, TVs, game consoles, 1x USB 3.0, 1x USB 2.0 for printers and storage in the network, versatile FRITZ! OS with MyFRITZ!, FRITZ!NAS, FRITZ!Apps and fritz.box user interface - intuitive to operate via the browser
- Box contents: AVM FRITZ!Box 4040 WLAN router, power supply, service card (FRITZ! Note), Network Cable (1.8 m, white), Quick Start Guide