The AVM FRITZ!WLAN AC 860 is a small WiFi dongle that comes with a small extension socket so it doesn’t have to sit in the back of your PC where the WiFi signal might not be very good.
You’ll notice the USB connector is blue, and that’s because this is the faster USB 3 type of connection whereas a lot of WiFi sticks are USB 2.
The FRITZ!WLAN AC 860 was tested on a Windows 10 PC connected to a 100Mb Virgin broadband connection via an Asus RT-AC68U router. The PC has previously been connected via an Asus N53 WiFi dongle but found this wasn’t getting a great speed with the PC located upstairs and the router downstairs.
It was then connected via the previously reviewed TP Link AV1200 powerline adapters which dramatically increased the speed over the N53.
Setup of the FRITZ!WLAN AC 860 was really easy, just plug the adapter into your PC and the install software is on the stick. If you have a FRITZ!Box the stick can be configured by plugging it in to that first, if you don’t it’s just a matter of connecting to your WiFi network in Windows.
The first thing to note is that the router creates two networks a 2.4G network and a 5G (faster) network. The Asus N53 would only pickup the slower network, the faster network signal was too weak for it. No such problem for the FRITZ!WLAN AC 860 which picked it up just fine.
As you’ll see in the review video the stick easily out performs the Asus N53 on the slower network, but is a little behind the powerline. However, connect it to the faster network and this stick gives a monster performance, giving me the full 100Mb download speed.
Upload speeds were similar for all devices, Virgin loves to talk about it’s fast download speeds but keeps quiet about it’s rather poor upload speeds!
Brilliant WiFi dongle that helps take full advantage of my internet connection.
Available from Amazon UK: http://amzn.to/1TuPH3c
AVM FRITZ!WLAN Stick AC 860 (866 Mbps (5 GHz), 300 Mbps, WLAN N, 2.4 GHz, WPA2) German Language Version
- WLAN AC USB stick with up to 866 Mbps (5 GHz) and up to 300 Mbps (WLAN N, 2.4 GHz), dual band support for either 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz connections.
- Stick and surf: secure Wi-Fi without configuration, ideal for USB 3.0 ports, compatible with USB 2.0
- Supports all current WLAN standards (802.11ac/n/g/b/a), can be used with all standard WLAN routers.
- WPA2 encryption for high WLAN security (802.11i), supports Wi-Fi Protected Setup (WPS)
- Box contents: AVM Fritz! WLAN stick AC 860, quick start guide, USB stand with cable
AVM FRITZ. International WLAN USB Stick, Universal Adapter USB Wireless N/AC 1200 Mbits red/white
AVM FRITZ!Repeater 3000 Network Mesh Repeater - 5 GHz (max 1.733 MBit/s), 5 GHz (max 866 MBit/s), 2,4 GHz (max 400 MBit/s), 2 x Gigabit LAN, UK Version
£123.99 in stock
- HIGH SPEEDS AND AMAZING COVERAGE | The FRITZ!Repeater 3000 is the first repeater in the FRITZ! product range to have three separate bands. Thanks to intelligent Mesh repeating, achieving top speeds is easy. Extend your home network easily and efficiently with the FRITZ!Repeater 3000
- EASY TO INSTALL THANKS TO WPS | The FRITZ!Repeater 3000 supports uncomplicated, automatic registration using the WiFi Protected Setup (WPS) standard. Configuration is completed with the touch of a button: Repeaters and WPS-enabled routers, such as the FRITZ!Box, then connect automatically. The FRITZ!Repeater adopts the appropriate wireless LAN settings and is ready for use immediately
- WIRELESS FREEDOM | With its two gigabit LAN ports, the FRITZ!Repeater 3000 integrates network-enabled devices without wireless functionality into the home network. The FRITZ!Repeater 3000 does this by using radio signals to bridge the distance to the router, something that used to require laying extra cables. And if your home already has cables, the repeater can switch to LAN bridge operating mode so that an existing network cable or powerline adapter can be used connect to the router
- EASY TO OPERATE AND UPDATE | From the ideal placement to the optimal radio channel: The repeater supports you with LEDs, software wizards and a clear, user-friendly interface. The FRITZ!Repeater 3000 also benefits from new features provided in free updates
- SECURE ENCRYPTION FOR THE WIRELESS NETWORK | The FRITZ!Repeater 3000 supports secure WPA2 encryption. This allows the repeater to establish secure connections to radio networks of modern routers and your WiFi is well protected