FRITZ!OS 7.20 with even more performance, convenience and security – more than 100 new features and updates
The update FRITZ!OS 7.20 is available starting today, delivering a range of free new features for FRITZ! products. Users get enhanced performance, including powerful Mesh Wi-Fi, fast VPN connections and high-performance use of network storage.
On top of this, there are new convenience features for the smart home network, telephony and FRITZ!Fon.
Enhanced security is delivered by the new encryption standard WPA3. Support of new standards for phone calls and DNS over TLS (Domain Name System resolution over TLS-encrypted TCP connections) ensure even more protection.
FRITZ!OS 7.20 delivers more than 100 updates and improvements. Twenty top features are compiled in this press release; For more information, visit en.avm.de/fritzos.
The roll-out of FRITZ!OS 7.20 is starting today with the previously reviewed FRITZ!Box 7590, soon to be followed by the FRITZ!Repeater 2400. The update will be available for other FRITZ! products in the next few weeks. Users get the new FRITZ!OS automatically or with just one tap in the FRITZ!Box user interface.
FRITZ!OS 7.20: 20 Top Features
Wi-Fi and Mesh
- With the new update, all FRITZ!Box and FRITZ!Repeater models support WPA3, the new standard for enhanced Wi-Fi security.
- The new “Performance Mesh Steering” improves the Wi-Fi connection for mobile end devices. In addition, the improved auto-channel selection of the FRITZ!Box now takes into account the Mesh Repeater’s Wi-Fi environment. The ensures the best Wi-Fi channel for the complete FRITZ! Mesh Wi-Fi is selected automatically.
- With Wi-Fi guest access, a public Wi-Fi hot spot can now be set up over which encrypted data are securely transmitted – thanks to Enhanced Open/Opportunistic Wireless Encryption (OWE). Users can use a Wi-Fi hot spot securely in cafés or medical practices, for example, eliminating the need to enter a password.
- High-performance FRITZ!Box models such as the FRITZ!Box 7590 or FRITZ!Box 6591 Cable now use 160 MHz Wi-Fi channel bandwidth so that data in the 5-GHz bandwidth are transported even faster in combination with compatible Wi-Fi terminal devices.
- With the new device blocking function, Internet access for selected devices in a home network can be switched on and off with just one tap.
- Thanks to the new DNS over TLS feature, users have more protection when surfing online.
- The FRITZ!Box models 7590, 7530 and 6890 LTE support “VDSL Long Reach.” High download speeds are possible even over long distances between distribution boxes and a FRITZ!Box, provided the network provider supports this new technology.
- With FRITZ!OS 7.20, the FRITZ!Box 6591 Cable and 6660 Cable acquire DVB-C streaming. This means free cable TV channels can be transmitted over Wi-Fi at home
- The transmission speed of VPN connections is nearly three times as fast – perfect for securely exchanging data between home and office and for the VPN dial-up to the FRITZ!Box (for FRITZ!Box 7590, 6660 Cable, 6591 Cable).
- Additional improvements include limiting the VPN connection to certain home network devices or configuring settings for NetBIOS support specifically for individual VPN connections.
- Nine new ring tones are now available for FRITZ!Fon, while FRITZ!Fon models have the option of selecting sound settings for media and telephone calls.
- Entering telephone numbers is even easier thanks to the FRITZ!Fon smart telephone book suggesting possible numbers when entering a number.
- The FRITZ!Fon gets a new home screen for the temperature display of a FRITZ! Smart Home device, such as the upcoming FRITZ!DECT 440 smart button, the FRITZ!DECT 301 radiator control or a FRITZ!DECT 200/210 smart plug.
- FRITZ!OS 7.20 supports encrypted voice transmission in compliance with TLS and SRTP standards, for instance, via a Deutsche Telekom connection.
- Starting with FRITZ!OS 7.20, FRITZ!Box supports even more telephone books for standardized management of all contacts: Apple (iCloud), Deutsche Telekom (Telekom Mail) and those from CardDAV providers.
- FRITZ!OS 7.20 also brings a number of enhancements to convenience functions such as answering machines, fax, and call blocking.
- The Smart Home pages on the FRITZ!Box user interface have been completely redesigned, meaning users can more effectively operate and manage the growing number of Smart Home devices in their home network.
- FRITZ!OS 7.20 supports the soon-to-be-available FRITZ!DECT 500 LED light and the FRITZ!DECT 440 four-button switch.
Multi-language user interface and network storage
- With FRITZ!OS Version 7.20, users can select their language and country in the user interface. Up to six languages (German, English, French, Italian, Polish, Dutch, Spanish) and more than 40 countries can be selected.
- For those who use the FRITZ!Box as network-attached storage – FRITZ! NAS – there is improved performance with Windows network drive functions for access to USB storage media. Starting with FRITZ!OS 7.20, FRITZ!Box also supports the SMB v2 and v3 file-sharing protocols.
Get the update and enjoy improved performance and convenience
Via the home page of the FRITZ!Box user interface (http://fritz.box), users can update to FRITZ!OS 7.20 with just one click. In addition, AVM recommends that all users check whether updates are available for other FRITZ! products such as FRITZ!Repeater, FRITZ!Powerline or FRITZ!Fon. These updates will also be shown on the FRITZ!Box home page.