As someone who creates video reviews it became clear I needed to do something about the audio quality as my current camcorder didn’t support an external microphone and the internal mic was fairly poor, adding a hiss to all audio recorded. The Blue Microphones Yeti has been consistently praised for it’s excellent audio quality and affordable price.
The packaging is the first thing you notice about the Yeti microphone, its colourful and has a cute little yeti character on it explaining the different functions in an easy to understand manner. The Yeti itself didn’t disappoint in the looks department either, with it’s unique style this stands around 30cm tall. On the front of the Yeti is the Blue logo, a mute button and the headphone volume control. Around the back is the gain control and pattern (or mode) control.
I use this for voice overs and am therefore only using it in one mode, cardioid, but there are 4 modes available in total:
Each mode changes how the microphone picks up sound, making this a highly versatile microphone capable of switching between single person voice overs, interviews, instrumentals, vocals, and choirs. The packaging also lists this as being suitable for field work, but given the size and weight there are likely far better suited microphones for use when out and about.
Setup is really easy, just plug it into your PC/laptop and depending on your setup you might need to select it as the microphone to use. The Yeti has a headphone socket on the bottom which has introduced me to the world of instant feedback, it’s really useful being able to hear what the Yeti is picking up so you can easily tell if it’s too noise, or if you’re too far away etc. Note that this might also need setting up to ensure sound isn’t played out of your speakers instead of your headphones.
Aside from audio recording it’s also possible to use the Yeti with applications that make use of microphone input, such as Skype and Steam. When testing the Yeti in this situation the other people commented that I sounded much better than I had via a webcam microphone. Again, setup is very easy, you just need to ensure the Yeti is selected as the microphone in whatever application you’re using.
This is a fantastic microphone, an excellent purchase if you’re looking to improve the quality of sounds you record. You can hear the huge improvement over my camcorder microphone in the video below.
Looks great, sounds great, an excellent investment and available http://goo.gl/w6l8E8
Logitech Blue Microphones Yeti USB Microphone for Recording and Streaming on PC and Mac, Game Streaming, Skype Calls, Youtube Streaming, Plug and Play, Midnight Logitech Blue Microphones
£112.85 in stock
2 used from £112.85
- Custom three-capsule array: Produces clear, powerful, broadcast-quality sound for YouTube, game streaming, podcasting, Skype calls and music
- Four pickup patterns: Cardioid, omni, bidirectional and stereo pickup patterns offer incredible flexibility, allowing you to record in ways that would normally require multiple microphones
- On-board audio controls: Studio controls for headphone volume, pattern selection, instant mute and microphone gain put you in charge of every level of the recording and streaming process
- Legendary blue broadcast sound: Makes the professional difference for recording, streaming and building your audience
- Distinct positionable design: Adjust and pivot the microphone in relation to the sound source to optimize your sound quality
Blue Microphones Snowball iCE USB Mic for Recording and Streaming on PC and Mac, Cardioid Condenser Capsule, Adjustable Stand, Plug and Play - Black
7 used from £55.79
- Custom condenser capsule: Delivers crystal-clear audio quality that’s light-years ahead of your built-in computer microphone
- Cardioid pickup pattern: Captures your voice with clear, focused sound for streaming, podcasting and Skype calls
- Stylish, retro design: Record or stream in style with a classic that looks great on your desktop and on camera
- Adjustable desktop stand: Allows you to position the microphone in relation to the sound source, improving sound quality
- Skype and Discord Certified: Be heard loud and clear with guaranteed performance on leading VOIP platforms
Samson Meteor USB Microphone - Chrome
£86.00 in stock
- One of the largest condenser diaphragms (25mm) of any usb mic available
- Cardioid pickup pattern, smooth frequency response and 16-bit, 44.1/48khz resolution give you professional audio results
- A stereo 1/8-inch headphone output for no latency monitoring and headphone volume knob give you complete control
- Meteor mic is compatible with most computer-based digital audio workstations.
- Legs adjust to the optimal position for any recording application from acoustic guitars to vocals or speech.