The D-Link DCH-M225 Wi-Fi Audio Extender is an interesting mixture of WiFi extender and music streamer.
The primary reason to get the D-Link DCH-M225 is to add music streaming capability to and older speaker setup, one that doesn’t have network or Bluetooth functionality.
Setup is really easy, with D-Link offering several different methods to get up and running. The WPS method was the quickest and the one used to setup the unit, just press the WPS button on the DCH-M225 and also on your router and the DCH-M225 will be quickly connected to your WiFi network.
A 3.5 aux cable is included and this plugs into the bottom of the unit, a strange design decision when your amp is likely to be above the unit. Once the aux cable is plugged into your amp you’re ready to party! Any music playing device connected to your network can then stream to the DCH-M225 which outputs to your amp.
If using a PC you can stream directly from media player. From an iPad or iPhone you can use AirPlay. And from Android…well unfortunately it’s likely you’ll need to download a dedicated streaming app unless you have something like the Sony Z1 Compact which has DNLA steaming baked in as you see in the review video.
As music plays over your network you’re not restricted to having the source device in the same room as the plug, allowing you to have a PC on upstairs streaming music to the plug downstairs.
Surprisingly this isn’t the only function of the DCH-M225 as it also acts as a WiFi extender, allowing you to increase WiFi coverage beyond your routers range. During the WPS setup the DCH-M225 copied the routers SSID name and add ‘-EXT’ on the end of the name so you can easily identify it.
For the low cost this is a really quick and simple way of getting music streaming up and running and will breath new life into your old HiFi equipment.
D-Link DCH-S161 - Mydlink Wi-Fi Water Leak Detector/Leak Sensor, Compatible with Alexa, Google Assistant and IFTTT
- Mydlink Wi-Fi water leak detector - Water detection
- Instant notification when water is detected
- Wi-Fi connectivity for convenient installation
- 90dB sound alert when water is detected
- Works with connected products, IFTTT and Google Assistant- powered by AA batteries, maximum life of 1.5 years
D-Link DCH-G020 mydlink Connected Home Hub
£49.99 in stock
- Network Protocols : ARP, ICMP; IPv4 and IPv6
- Ports : USB 2.0 ,2 x 10/100 Ethernet
- Compatibility: DCH-Z120. Colour of product: White
D-Link DSP-W118/B - Mini Wi-Fi Smart Plug Compatibile with Alexa and Google Home and IFTTT, Remote Control with Mydlink App, Timer and schedule Function, 13A RATED - UK Version
- This smart and portable plug connects to your home Wi‑Fi. Simply plug in any home appliance and control it using the free mydlink app on your phone or tablet, whether you’re at home or on the go.
- Switch your things on or off from your phone, and automate any appliances to conveniently work around your schedule. Wake up to the scent of brewing coffee, charge your devices remotely, switch anything on from the sofa, or know your dinner’s cooked before you’re home.
- Created to be a neat and discreet fit in your home. Its compact housing means two of these smart plugs can fit side-by-side in double power sockets.
- Create one-touch routines and recipes to automate your smart home. Never reach for those out-of-the-way sockets again. Control lights in a room, turn everything off when you sleep, or automatically set lights to turn on earlier during the darker winter months
- Can be controlled by voice through Amazon Echo and Google Home Smart speakers