The D-Link DCH-M225 Wi-Fi Audio Extender is an interesting mixture of WiFi extender and music streamer.
The primary reason to get the D-Link DCH-M225 is to add music streaming capability to and older speaker setup, one that doesn’t have network or Bluetooth functionality.
Setup is really easy, with D-Link offering several different methods to get up and running. The WPS method was the quickest and the one used to setup the unit, just press the WPS button on the DCH-M225 and also on your router and the DCH-M225 will be quickly connected to your WiFi network.
A 3.5 aux cable is included and this plugs into the bottom of the unit, a strange design decision when your amp is likely to be above the unit. Once the aux cable is plugged into your amp you’re ready to party! Any music playing device connected to your network can then stream to the DCH-M225 which outputs to your amp.
If using a PC you can stream directly from media player. From an iPad or iPhone you can use AirPlay. And from Android…well unfortunately it’s likely you’ll need to download a dedicated streaming app unless you have something like the Sony Z1 Compact which has DNLA steaming baked in as you see in the review video.
As music plays over your network you’re not restricted to having the source device in the same room as the plug, allowing you to have a PC on upstairs streaming music to the plug downstairs.
Surprisingly this isn’t the only function of the DCH-M225 as it also acts as a WiFi extender, allowing you to increase WiFi coverage beyond your routers range. During the WPS setup the DCH-M225 copied the routers SSID name and add ‘-EXT’ on the end of the name so you can easily identify it.
For the low cost this is a really quick and simple way of getting music streaming up and running and will breath new life into your old HiFi equipment.
TP-Link TL-WPA4220KIT 2-Port Powerline Adapter WiFi Starter Kit, Range Extender, Broadband/WiFi Extender, WiFi Booster/Hotspot, No Configuration Required, UK Plug
- Super-fast powerline Speed – HomePlug AV standard compliant, stable and high-speed data transfer rate, ideal for Ultra HD streaming and online gaming
- WiFi booster – extend up to 300 Mbps Wireless connections to previously hard-to-reach areas of your home and office. System Requirements : Windows 2000/XP/2003/Vista, Windows 7/8/8.1/10, Mac, Linux
- Multiple Ethernet ports – provide reliable high-speed wired connection for game consoles, smart TVs and NAS
- One Touch for super range extension - Wi-Fi Clone button simplifies your WiFi configuration and helps build a seamless unified home network with one simple touch
- Plug, pair and play - set up your powerline network and start enjoying fast, seamless wired/wireless connection in minutes
TP-Link TL-PA4010KIT Nano AV600 Powerline Adapter Starter Kit, Up to 300 m range, No Configuration Required, UK Plug
£24.50 in stock
2 used from £19.00
- HomePlug AV standard compliant, providing data transmission over electrical wires
- Stable and high-speed data transfer rate over electrical wires, ideal for HD video streaming, online gaming and large file downloading
- Up to 300 m range over the household power circuit for efficient performance through walls or across floors
- No setup required, simply plug and play. System Requirements: Windows 10/8.1/8/7/Vista/XP/2000, Mac, Linux
- Power saving mode automatically reduces power consumption by up to 85 percent
D-Link DWM-222 4G LTE USB Adapter, Up to 150 Mbps Download, USB 2.0, Plug and Play, Compatible with Windows XP/Vista/7/8/10 and Mac OS X 10.5 or higher
£60.41 in stock
2 used from £30.68
- The DWM-222 4G LTE USB Adapter is a portable travel modem that allows you to connect to the Internet wherever you are
- With fast downlink and uplink data rates, as well as low latency, it provides you with a high-performance and responsive connection when you’re on the road
- The DWM-222 4G LTE USB Adapter is small and slim enough to carry around in your purse or pocket. It features a microSD card reader for optional removable storage (up to 32 GB), allowing you to always have your files and contacts on hand
- Simply plug the 4G LTE USB Adapter into your computer and get Internet access anywhere you can receive an LTE signal (also backwards compatible with HSPA, GSM, GPRS, or EDGE data signal).
- The DWM-222 also has an integrated antenna for a connection that is consistent and reliable whether you’re in a coffee shop, attending a business meeting or working from a hotel