The D-Link DCH-M225 Wi-Fi Audio Extender is an interesting mixture of WiFi extender and music streamer.
The primary reason to get the D-Link DCH-M225 is to add music streaming capability to and older speaker setup, one that doesn’t have network or Bluetooth functionality.
Setup is really easy, with D-Link offering several different methods to get up and running. The WPS method was the quickest and the one used to setup the unit, just press the WPS button on the DCH-M225 and also on your router and the DCH-M225 will be quickly connected to your WiFi network.
A 3.5 aux cable is included and this plugs into the bottom of the unit, a strange design decision when your amp is likely to be above the unit. Once the aux cable is plugged into your amp you’re ready to party! Any music playing device connected to your network can then stream to the DCH-M225 which outputs to your amp.
If using a PC you can stream directly from media player. From an iPad or iPhone you can use AirPlay. And from Android…well unfortunately it’s likely you’ll need to download a dedicated streaming app unless you have something like the Sony Z1 Compact which has DNLA steaming baked in as you see in the review video.
As music plays over your network you’re not restricted to having the source device in the same room as the plug, allowing you to have a PC on upstairs streaming music to the plug downstairs.
Surprisingly this isn’t the only function of the DCH-M225 as it also acts as a WiFi extender, allowing you to increase WiFi coverage beyond your routers range. During the WPS setup the DCH-M225 copied the routers SSID name and add ‘-EXT’ on the end of the name so you can easily identify it.
For the low cost this is a really quick and simple way of getting music streaming up and running and will breath new life into your old HiFi equipment.
TP-Link TL-WPA4220KIT 2-Port Powerline Adapter WiFi Starter Kit, Range Extender, Broadband/WiFi Extender, WiFi Booster/Hotspot, No Configuration Required, UK Plug
£39.99 in stock
- Super-fast powerline Speed – HomePlug AV standard compliant, stable and high-speed data transfer rate, ideal for Ultra HD streaming and online gaming
- WiFi booster – extend up to 300 Mbps Wireless connections to previously hard-to-reach areas of your home and office. System Requirements : Windows 2000/XP/2003/Vista, Windows 7/8/8.1/10, Mac, Linux
- Multiple Ethernet ports – provide reliable high-speed wired connection for game consoles, smart TVs and NAS
- One Touch for super range extension - Wi-Fi Clone button simplifies your WiFi configuration and helps build a seamless unified home network with one simple touch
- Plug, pair and play - set up your powerline network and start enjoying fast, seamless wired/wireless connection in minutes
Video & TV Cast for Fire TV: Best Browser to stream any web-video on HD-TV displays
- Stream and watch videos from your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch or Android devices on Fire TV
- Supports webvideos, online movies and livestreams
- Integrated browser to search and stream videos with just one tap
- Mp4, m3u8, hls livestreams, Full HD video