I recently had a crowdfunded item shipped to me from outside the EU and delivered to me by FedEx. Delivery went well, they kept me up to date with when it would arrive via text message.
I’d fully expected I’d have to pay some sort of tax and sure enough I soon received a text informing me an invoice needed settling. What surprised me was that along with the tax charge was a £12 charge for something called “Direct Payment Processing Fee“.
Tax has to be paid, no reason not to pay this, it’s due and should be expected when importing goods to the UK. I’d no idea what basis FedEx were charging this additional £12, after all I’ve no relationship with them, I’ve not agreed to pay such a charge, they’ve done nothing for me as they’re delivering on behalf of the company sending me the goods.
A quick google and I came across a blog by Adam Owen for a slightly different charge, for Customers Advancement Fees. He had published a useful template which I’ve modified and sent off to
firstname.lastname@example.org. Within a couple of days they’d wiped the additional charge and all I had to pay was the original tax charge.
Here’s the email I sent, feel free to make use of it and let eveyone know in the comments below if it works for you.
This is in reference to invoice #xxxxxxxx.
After having bought an item outside the EU I understood there would be the possibility of VAT due on receiving them.
I was however surprised to see an additional section for a ‘Direct Payment Processing Fee’ of £12.
Since my purchase was made outside of the EU, I of course will pay the VAT due.
However, I refuse to pay the ‘Direct Payment Processing Fee’ of £12, since
at no point was I made aware of, nor did I agree to, any terms and conditions which clearly stated that I would be liable for any such charges.
At no point in the transaction and subsequent delivery was any contract for a Direct Payment Processing Fee made between FedEx and myself.
I paid the supplier for delivery, and would expect that any international
fees be factored into the initial cost of such a shipment.
If you want to pursue further charges for delivery or administration or the terms upon which goods are shipped, I suggest that you take it up with the company who shipped the goods initially.
Therefore, I request that you update this invoice to reflect no admin fee,
and once that has been done I’ll make immediate payment.
Please let me know when this has been done.
Huawei E5783B-230, CAT 6, Super-Fast 4G 300 Mbps, Travel Wi-Fi Hotspot (Genuine UK Warranty Stock)- Black
£69.99 in stock
1 used from £58.36
- Set up your own private Wi-Fi and connect up to an incredible 16 Wi-Fi enabled gadgets including phones, tablets, laptops and gaming consoles
- Travel the world with Huawei E5783, a portable 4G pocket-sized solution to low-cost travel Wi-Fi
- Choose the best provider for your area, as the device is fully unlocked to all networks
- Travelling? Keep the kids entertained for up to 6 hours with super-fast 4G 300Mbps Wi-Fi
SumUp Air mobile card terminal for contactless payments with Credit & Debit Card, Apple & Google Pay - NFC RFID money card reader - practical credit card reader
2 used from £13.11
- FULL TRANSPARENCY - No fixed costs or contractual obligations with the SumUp card reader. Only pay 1.69% per transaction.
- EASY TO USE - The card reader is installed and ready to use within 5 minutes. Process up to 500 transactions on a single charge. Use WiFi or mobile data on your smartphone. English customer service answers all questions.
- ACCEPT ALL PAYMENTS - Your customers can pay contactlessly or with a chip and PIN. All debit cards (Maestro, VPAY), credit cards (Visa, Mastercard, American Express, Diners Club, Discover, Union Pay) and even Google and Apple Pay are accepted
- FAST PAYOUT - Get your money directly in your bank account in just 1-3 working days. No hassle, 100% online, no cumbersome rebooking, you get what you deserve.
- MOBILE: Connect the SumUp Air to your phone via Bluetooth and accept payments wherever you are. The SumUp Air works in conjunction with the free SumUp Mobile App and the web dashboard, which take over the entire organization for you.
EE PAYG Triple SIM Card Preloaded with 6 GB of 4GEE Data
£16.36 in stock
- EE PAYG Combi-SIM Card - Standard, Micro, and Nano SIM all-in-one with 6GB EE 4GEE data
- Pre-loaded SIM card with 6GB 4GEE data, which lasts for 90 days from activation. No contract, no commitment
- We're proud to announce that RootMetrics have now measured the reliability of the four major UK networks on calls, texts and mobile internet, and awarded us the most reliable network in the country
- We have more masts than any other network, which means great coverage across the UK. Ours already covers over 70% of the UK population across 200 towns and cities. Our engineers are working flat out to make sure we roll out 4GEE to the rest of the UK too
- We were the first to introduce 4G to the UK, and we're the first to double 4GEE speeds. And we're constantly improving our network's speed and capacity. The UK's going to use more and more data in the future. Our network's ready for it