GooBang Doo might be an odd brand name but they’ve gone with a more sensible product name of ABox for their Android TV box.
It’s a fairly tidy design, not the smallest I’ve seen but certainly wouldn’t look out of place under the TV.
The box has a HDMI connection, Ethernet, 2 USB ports and an SD card slot. WiFi is built in, meaning there are no external antenna to worry about.
Along with the ABox you get a basic remote and a full USB QWERTY keyboard that has a trackpad. Being a USB peripheral you can always use this second mini keyboard/trackpad with other devices, for example your PC or laptop.
Power up the ABox and you’re presented with a simple, clean, menu system. For the most part the standard basic remote works very well for navigating around and selecting apps. It also works well in streaming apps, such as Netflix, that present a big button layout.
Where you’ll want to make use of the mini keyboard is during general setup, where usernames and passwords need to be entered. It’s much quicker to use the mini keyboard than the on screen keyboard.
Although the main menu is fixed, there is a small shortcut bar at the bottom of the screen you can customise to show the apps you’re most interested in.
The ABox comes preinstalled with a range of apps, including V16.1 of Kodi. This has a number of add ons preinstalled, some of which Kodi reported as broken and that they should be removed.
So for general media streaming or web browsing the ABox works well. Where things fall down is if you want to indulge in a spot of gaming.
Asphalt8 could be played, but it wasn’t a nice experience. The ABox struggled to provide a fluid experience, with the game looking very choppy on screen.
The media streaming market is a crowded one, unfortunately the ABox does little to match existing options such as the Sumvision Cyclone X4 or even the lower cost Amazon Fire Stick.
The GooBang Doo ABox is available from Amazon UK: http://amzn.to/2jHLnPO
GooBang Doo Android ABox Video Review
Android 8.1 TV BOX, T9 Android Box 4GB RAM 32GB ROM RK3328 Bluetooth 4.1 Quad Core 64bits Smart TV BOX Built-in 2.4G Wi-Fi 4K 3D HDMI Output Ultra HD TV Box
- 【NEWEST ANDROID 9.0 OS】 T9 TV box comes with updated android 9.0 OS, which is faster and more efficient. T9 android box has a better compatibility of software, games and applications, better user interface and user experience.
- 【FAST REACTION SPEED & MEMORY】 T9 Android TV box provides plentiful room 4GB DDR3 RAM 32GB eMMC ROM and 64 bit CPU to quickly start your apps and games. You can also add an extra TF card(up to 64GB)to expand storage, which improves the reliability of your TV box and prevents crashes due to lack of memory.
- 【GET YOUR OWN THEATER】 Google Play store supports many Android apps. Simply plug into an HDTV and start streaming in minutes. With an ultra-fast processor and 2.4G/5G Wi-Fi, you can rely on smooth and responsive performance.
- 【4K H.265 TV BOX】This latest android TV box supports decoding and playing almost all popular audio and video formats, bringing you to enjoy 4K ultimate HD video. And moreover, its H.265 decoding will save 50% bandwidth than H.264, so you can play thousands of android games in a large 4K screen and enjoy a higher quality experience with less buffering.
- 【EASY & CONVENIENT TO USE】 Comes with built-in 2.4/5.0 GHz Wi-Fi & Bluetooth 4.1 and supports 10/100M Ethernet LAN. We offer convenient connection and more stable WIFI signal to enjoy higher quality video experience. Just plug in the power supply, connect the box HDMI cable and Wi-Fi/Ethernet, you can watch whatever you like.