The Hauppauge HD PVR Rocket Game Recorder is a smart little box that records footage from things like the Xbox One or your PC.
It comes with almost everything you need to get started, you’ll need to provide a USB drive to record footage to.
There are some instructions included, they do the job but they’re just printed on a bit of paper and for the price I’d expect a nice looking booklet.
Setup is easy enough, plug in a HDMI cable from the source device, then plug a second HDMI cable (one is provided) into the TV/monitor. The Rocket is powered by a USB cable, interestingly if the USB port you use can’t supply enough power the cable has a second USB cable to help provide a bit more juice.
A USB stick needs to be plugged in, it would’ve been good to have the option to use an SD card as this would’ve kept the box a bit tidier, as it is you have a USB dongle sticking out.
There is a big red button on the top, press that and the Rocket starts to record whatever the device is displaying. This worked with a couple of Android boxes in for review as well as an Xbox One, so there is potential for using this with a range of devices. Press the red button again and the recording stops, with a simple LED light indicating if it’s recording or not, very simple system.
For those looking to do a little more there is some optional software you can download from the manufacturers website. This give you a range of options, from recording directly to your PC, to streaming live. The included microphone does a decent job and would be fine for voiceovers or commentary.
The captured sound and footage was excellent quality, making this a much better option than pointing a camcorder at a screen! With it being stored on a USB stick you can simply plug it into your PC and immediately gain access to it, removing the need to connect the Rocket if you’d rather leave it in situ.
It’d be nice to see better quality instructions included as well as the ability to use an SD card for those what want to take this round to a friends and just want to chuck it in a bag without having to worry about a USB stick falling out, but those are minor niggles for this simple to use system.
Hauppauge Hd Pvr Rocket Portable Hd Video Game Recorder
- Hd Pvr Rocket Portable Hd Video Game Recorder
HAUPPAUGE HD PVR Pro 60 4K in/Out 1080P 60fps Capture and Streaming PC Connected and Stand Alone 1684
- Pro 60 is for 4K consoles, records and streams at 1080P 60fps
- Stream and record your gameplay at 1080p 60fps - create and maintain your own YouTube Channel and share your best game play with your subscribers
- Fully compatible with Open Broadcaster software (OBS) and, for professional streamers, XSplit Broadcaster
- Operates both stand alone and PC connected, with game controller and headset inputs and built-in audio mixer
- UVC driver using the latest USB 3 technology, USB Type-C. Compatible with video capture and streaming applications which use uvc Class drivers. UVC drivers are supported in Windows, Mac and Linux
Hauppauge - HD PVR 2 Gaming Edition High Definition Game Capture Device – model 1480,Black
1 used from £99.77
- Uses H.264 encoding in HD to capture your game play in stunning HD
- Uses HDMI to connect to your TV set from Xbox One, Xbox 360 or PS4. Component Video cable to connect to PS3. Setup is a snap
- Comes with a 6 ft long HDMI cable to connect to your Xbox One, Xbox 360 and PS4, and a Component Video cable to connect to your PS3.
- With no delay passthrough, so you can play your games while recording
- With one click you can share your game play with your friends and fans on YouTube