The HooToo HT-WR01 is a wifi repeater that aims to eliminate those annoying dead spots around your home where the wifi signal has trouble reaching. Most houses will have the router at one end of the house, in a living room for example, and can struggle with getting a signal at the other end and the idea is that the HT-WR01 sits somewhere within the signal and boosts it to areas that don’t have a signal.
The HT-WR01 looks nice enough, it’s glossy white with a curved design and it’s likely you’ll just plug it in and forget about it. One downside is that there is no plug pass through, so whatever socket you use you’ll loose for everyday use, which might be a problem if it’s in the hallway and you need it for a vacuum cleaner.
Setup was easy enough once I’d checked the instructions a couple of times, the instructions are not the clearest they could be. A setup guide has been included in the video below that will hopefully be useful to others. The setup process was completed by connecting directly to the unit over wifi, but there is an option to connect via Ethernet as well. Head to the routers webpage by typing 192.168.10.1, enter ‘admin’ as the username and password and you should land on the management screen. Having setup a couple of routers recently I’ve seen similar web based setups and they always go directly into the setup process on first connection, it would have been nice if this also dropped you into the setup rather than a generic page where you need to click to start this process (‘Setup wizard’ top left).
Once in, the setup wizard was clear and simple: Select repeater mode, select your existing network, enter your wifi password and save/reboot. Once that’s completed you should be able to connect and get online!
In tests the repeater did improve the wifi signal and I can see this being a brilliant way of ensuring you’ve no dead spots around your home. I’ve taken a star off for the poor instructions and it not going into the setup wizard the first time you logon, everything else has been fine.
The HooToo HT-WR01 Wireless Repeater is available on Amazon now, and at the time of writing is on sale for just £13.49: http://goo.gl/KmpeIO
TP-Link TL-WPA4220KIT 2-Port Powerline Adapter WiFi Starter Kit, Range Extender, Broadband/WiFi Extender, WiFi Booster/Hotspot, No Configuration Required, UK Plug
£34.99 in stock
- Super-fast powerline Speed – HomePlug AV standard compliant, stable and high-speed data transfer rate, ideal for Ultra HD streaming and online gaming
- WiFi booster – extend up to 300 Mbps Wireless connections to previously hard-to-reach areas of your home and office. System Requirements : Windows 2000/XP/2003/Vista, Windows 7/8/8.1/10, Mac, Linux
- Multiple Ethernet ports – provide reliable high-speed wired connection for game consoles, smart TVs and NAS
- One Touch for super range extension - Wi-Fi Clone button simplifies your WiFi configuration and helps build a seamless unified home network with one simple touch
- Plug, pair and play - set up your powerline network and start enjoying fast, seamless wired/wireless connection in minutes
TP-Link TL-PA4010KIT Nano AV600 Powerline Adapter Starter Kit, Up to 300 m range, No Configuration Required, UK Plug
- HomePlug AV standard compliant, providing data transmission over electrical wires
- Stable and high-speed data transfer rate over electrical wires, ideal for HD video streaming, online gaming and large file downloading
- Up to 300 m range over the household power circuit for efficient performance through walls or across floors
- No setup required, simply plug and play. System Requirements: Windows 10/8.1/8/7/Vista/XP/2000, Mac, Linux
- Power saving mode automatically reduces power consumption by up to 85 percent
TP-Link TL-WR940N 450Mbps Wireless N Cable Router, 4 Fast LAN Ports, Easy Setup, WPS Button, Supports Parent Control, Guest Wi-Fi, VPN, UK Plug
- Wireless and speed 450 Mbps Wi-Fi speed ideal for interruption sensitive applications like HD video streaming; Far-reaching 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi coverage with 3 high-quality 5dBi antennas
- Easy Bandwidth Management: Bandwidth control allocates necessary speed of each connected device to ensure quality of multimedia streaming
- Fast encryption: One-touch WPA wireless security encryption with the WPS button; compatible with IPv6 -the more recent Internet Protocol version
- Hassle-free Management with Tether App: Network management is made easy with the TP-Link Tether app, available on any Android or iOS device
- Guest network and parental control: Keeps your main network secure by creating a separate guest network for visitors; restricts the access time and contents for children devices with parental control