The recently reviewed DJI OSMO Action is a fantastic bit of technology, but out of the box I recently discovered a very frustrating feature: It feels impossible to remove the lens cap from a fresh OSMO Action!
You should be able to unscrew the lens filter by turning it anti clockwise, yet trying as hard as I could it wouldn’t budge at all. For most people this won’t be an issue, but if you damage the original lens cap, or want to replace it with different filters, this becomes a very frustrating feature.
Turns out DJI missed out a vital tool from OSMO Action’s box: an elastic band!
If you’re struggling to remove this by hand don’t worry, this tip will make things a lot easier and also stops you accidentally damaging your shiny new action camera with a pair of pliers. Grab an elastic band and wrap it around the lens cap, then try to turn it anti clockwise again. It’s still tough, but you should feel a satisfying pop as it finally comes loose.
I found this only needed to be done once, it seems that DJI may do something at the factory that creats this super tight seal and after that first time you’ll find it much easier to unscrew the cap. Just remember to make sure to tighten up the lens cap when replacing, the DJI OSMO Action is waterproof…but only if you’ve maintained a good seal on the lens.
Hopefully this has been useful, if you’ve a different method let everyone know in the comments section below, but for me the elastic band method gets the thumbs up.
DJI OSMO Action Camera
£299.00 in stock
1 used from £ 290.66
- Two screens: whether you need exciting action shots or cool vlogs, the two high-quality screens of Osmo action mean you don't have to compromise. The vibrant front screen of Osmo action provides perfect selfies and captivating vlogs, while the responsive back screen provides an incredibly intuitive experience.
- Rock steady: Rock steady combines electronic image stabilization with complex algorithms to ensure buttery smooth shots no matter how brutal the action is.
- More dynamic detail with HDR Video: HDR Video delivers even more dynamic and detailed recording. Shooting mode delivers natural transitions between dark and bright areas, capturing more detail in complex lighting conditions.
- 11M waterproof: with waterproof seal and a water-repellent coating on the touch screen, The Osmo action is waterproof to a depth of 11 meters.
- Box contents: Osmo action, cover, Lanyard, charging cable, smartphone adapter (USB-C), smartphone adapter (Lightning)