The HP F800G aims to set itself apart from the growing ranks of low cost car cameras available by offering a premium design with some additional tricks to set it apart from the competition.
The unit looks and feels like a quality bit of kit, unlike recently tested dash cams the F800G has a good sized touch screen on the rear and this keeps the design clutter free. It comes with a 140 degree wide angle lens and records in full HD.
The F800G comes with a suction cup mount for your windscreen, making it easy to remove when not in use or when you’re packed in a particularly dodgy area, and has a nice long USB power cable with a car adapter. At the time of review the F800G was available on Amazon UK with additional accessories not normally included, a USB cable for transferring data off the camera and a case to pop the F800G in when you don’t want to leave it in the car.
As standard you’ll also get an in car power cable. This is a long cable designed to be cable tidied, if you leave it dangling you’ll have a very long, very messy, cable in your car.
The touch screen is a great addition, other car cameras reviewed tend to make use of buttons and the multitude of menu options is a real chore. The F800G has a clean, simple to use menu system that is much nicer to use than other car cameras.
One of the features you might want to try enabled is the Lane Departure Warning System. Once activated this attempts to warn you if you are drifting out of your lane when driving above about 30 miles / 50 kilometers per hour. As this is based on the camera ‘looking’ at the road and it therefore triggers when you are changing lanes. If that’s too annoying the feature can be turned off.
The camera also has GPS built in, this allows it to record the co-ordinates of your trip along with an approximate speed, all of which is displayed on the recorded footage. GPS data is also stored on the memory card in .nmea format, a standard file that can be loaded into websites such as GPS Visualizer to display your route on Google Maps.
The F800G records video chunks of around 400MB and the GPS data is recorded in chunks that match the video chunks so you can see where you were when a particular bit of footage was recorded.
If you do happen to capture an incident you’d like to keep there is an on screen button that stores recent footage in a separate folder. If this isn’t pressed you still have access to your footage, you’ll just need to find the relevant section among a large number of files before the unit records over it (it loops and records over the oldest footage).
Recorded footage is great quality, both during daylight and in lower light levels. The camera can record sound as well, useful to pinpoint exact time of impact, not so great if you happen to be an in car singer who isn’t very good.
This is a premium product, but for those who travel a lot it offers all the features of a lower cost model with a far superior interface and onboard GPS.
Logitech C920 HD Pro Webcam, Full HD 1080p/30fps Video Calling, Clear Stereo Audio, HD Light Correction, Works with Skype, Zoom, FaceTime, Hangouts, PC/Mac/Laptop/Macbook/Tablet - Black
£80.61 in stock
10 used from £74.78
- Full-HD Video Calling : This streaming webcam operates in full-HD 1080p video at 30-fps, whether you're on Skype or streaming yourself gaming in a strong HD 720p; It covers the full action; Connects to your device via USB
- Crisp Video Quality : Using this video calling device over wifi allows professionals and others to record rich content that is fluid, professional-looking and polished - such as demonstrations or showcasing your passions
- Full-HD Glass Lens : Users of this full HD streaming camera that captures a wide 78 degree field of view will be seen in high clarity and detail - the five-element glass lens with premium auto-focus capability shoots and records video that is crystal-clear
- Brighter Images : Equipped with automatic HD autofocus and light correction, this streaming webcam fine-tunes to your lighting conditions to produce bright, well-contrasted images - even if you're in a dim setting
- Dual Microphones : The two-microphone system on this HD webcam - one on each side of the lens - captures natural stereo audio while filtering out background noise
Logitech C270 HD Webcam, HD 720p/30fps, Widescreen HD Video Calling, HD Light Correction, Noise-Reducing Mic, For Skype, FaceTime, Hangouts, WebEx, PC/Mac/Laptop/Macbook/Tablet - Black
8 used from £21.80
- Full HD widescreen video calling: Logitech C270 let you make widescreen video calls in HD 720p at 30fps. The lense with 60-degree field of view covers all of the action
- HD lighting adjustment: Automatically improves the warmth and balance of your image for whatever setting you are in, so you look your best, even in dim environments
- Built-in noise-reducing mic: Enjoy clear conversation even in busy surroundings and streaming over wifi with noise reducing mic
- Universal clip: Attaches securely to your screen or works as a stand on a shelf or desk, the clip mounts at different angles to bring your friends and family all the details around you
- Ideal for laptop or tablet: Compatible with Windows 10 or later, Windows 8, Windows 7, Mac OS 10.10 or later, and Chrome OS via the USB port