The HP LC100W Action Camera is the latest low cost video camera looking to tap into the GoPro market.
The build quality of the LC100W is very good, this looks and feels like a well made gadget that will survive trips out and about. On the front is the 8MP lens and small LCD screen, around the sides are the controls for power, mode, WiFi and two ports: one for a micro SD card, the other a USB port for charging/transferring data. On the bottom is a small section to attach accessories to.
HP have included a range of accessories with the LC100W, you get a nice waterproof case that the camera slips while still having access to the buttons. There is a tripod mount adapter, belt clip, handlebar mount (which can double up as a wrist mount if you happen to have small wrists) and a lanyard to wear this around your neck.
There are a couple of different ways to use the LC100W, you can just turn it on and press the record button or you can download the companion app and connect to it via it’s own WiFi network. This only takes a moment to setup and it gives you a real time view of what the camera sees. You can then control all functions from your mobile, including selecting the operating mode, starting to record and rotating the image.
There are 3 modes available:
- Time Lapse
Time Lapse is an interesting mode, but also a little frustrating. The first attempt didn’t go too well as the camera ran out of power, it would be better for it to check and warn the user if power is too low before starting a timelapse. When it did work the results were good and could be stored as photos, a video, or both photos and a video.
The LC100W offers good video quality for the price, although there are a couple of niggles, firstly the microphone doesn’t go a particularly good job, on playback it’s a struggle to hear much even when footage is recorded out of the protective case.
Secondly the footage tended to judder a little if the camera moved around a lot, you’ll see this In the video review when chasing a cat on foot. Don’t bounce the camera around and footage quality is much better, as you can see later in the video.
These are fairly minor niggles, after all the LC100W is a budget video camera, one that comes with a good range of accessories in the box. It won’t replace a dedicated camcorder, but for those interested in experimenting with a mini camera without the budget for a top end GoPro it does a great job.
Available now from Amazon UK: http://amzn.to/1D7pSgj
Logitech C920 HD Pro Webcam, Full HD 1080p/30fps Video Calling, Clear Stereo Audio, HD Light Correction, Works with Skype, Zoom, FaceTime, Hangouts, PC/Mac/Laptop/Macbook/Tablet - Black
£80.61 in stock
10 used from £74.77
- Full-HD Video Calling : This streaming webcam operates in full-HD 1080p video at 30-fps, whether you're on Skype or streaming yourself gaming in a strong HD 720p; It covers the full action; Connects to your device via USB
- Crisp Video Quality : Using this video calling device over wifi allows professionals and others to record rich content that is fluid, professional-looking and polished - such as demonstrations or showcasing your passions
- Full-HD Glass Lens : Users of this full HD streaming camera that captures a wide 78 degree field of view will be seen in high clarity and detail - the five-element glass lens with premium auto-focus capability shoots and records video that is crystal-clear
- Brighter Images : Equipped with automatic HD autofocus and light correction, this streaming webcam fine-tunes to your lighting conditions to produce bright, well-contrasted images - even if you're in a dim setting
- Dual Microphones : The two-microphone system on this HD webcam - one on each side of the lens - captures natural stereo audio while filtering out background noise
HP ENVY 6032 All in One Colour WiFi Double Sided Inkjet Printer 5 months Instant Ink Trial
£104.05 in stock
TP-Link RE200 AC750 Universal Dual Band Range Extender, Broadband/Wi-Fi Extender, Wi-Fi Booster/Hotspot with Ethernet Port, Plug and Play, Smart Signal Indicator, UK Plug
£29.00 in stock
1 used from £20.00
- Operates over both the 2.4 GHz band (300 Mbps) and 5 GHz band (433 Mbps) for more stable wireless experience
- Works with any Wi-Fi router or wireless access point
- Easily expand wireless coverage at a push of range extender button
- Smart signal lights show the strength of signal receives from the existing router, which can help to find the best location for optimal Wi-Fi coverage
- Ethernet port allows the extender to function as a wireless adapter to connect wired devices