Following on from the Livescribe Echo smartpen and updated WiFi version it was time to test the latest Bluetooth iOS Livescribe. The first thing to note if you’ve used previous versions is the new one has been completely redesigned to actually look like a pen; the previous screen has been removed and replaced with a small LED status light and the overall build quality feels better.
Disappointingly Livescribe have yet to find a better solution to the pen cap, it is still something that will likely be dropped and lost if you’re not very careful with it.
Setup to very easy, the pen quickly and easily paired with an iPad and was ready for use in a matter of minutes. It’s disappointing this can only be used with Apple products, although given how many meetings I’ve been in where participants had iPads I can see the logic.
Along with the Livescribe 3 pen you also get a charging cable (which plugs into the top of the pen, under the rubber cap) and a starter notepad with 50 sheets of the special paper you have to use if you want to track your writing.
In use the Livescribe 3 is impressively quick to synchronise your notes with the iOS app, they appeared within moments of them being written. This speedy syncing means at the end of the meeting you can quickly share your notes with those present without having to get back to your PC.
Sound recording is taken care of by your iPhone/iPad but handily can be triggered from the notepad itself, you don’t need to press anything on your mobile. Just pop your device on the table and hit record on your pad for the pen to record both the sound and any notes/drawings you make. These notes can be stored online using cloud services Evernote or Onenote.
The redesigned pen is a much better shape compared to previous models and it’s good to see its easier than ever to get setup and running, but considering this seems to be a more basic pen than previous models (e.g. no WiFi, no screen) its odd the price higher rather than lower. As is common with Apple related accessories it seems an ‘Apple tax’ has been added.
Good at what it does, but if you’re in the market for this sort of device it’s worth considering one of the older and less expensive models.
Available now from Amazon: http://amzn.to/1vgOp1q
Livescribe Aegir Smartpen, Marlin Edition, Purple Color (APX-00033)
£94.79 in stock
- Digitize your handwritten notes effortlessly. At almost the same size and weight as a ball-point pen, digitally transforming your handwriting has never been easier, or more fashionable
- Add voice to your notes. Record audio using the Livescribe+ app while you write to add voice to your notes. Playback when needed to recreate key moments
- Write now, sync later. Capture every moment - The Aegir smartpen can store up to 1, 200 pages of writing and sync later with your phone
- Search for terms within your handwriting. Use the Livescribe+ app to search your handwritten notes and find what you need, when you need it. Custom tags keep your notes organized.
- Seamlessly integrate the Aegir smartpen into your life. Share notes in the format that you want (Text/PDF/image/MS Word) to the cloud service that you use (Dropbox/Google Drive/MS OneNote/Evernote).
Livescribe 3 Smartpen, Black Edition
- Connects to your iOS and Android devices via Bluetooth Smart (Low Energy) to sync everything you write or draw to the free Livescribe+ app
- The quickest, simplest way to bring valuable information from paper onto your tablet and smartphone, where it becomes more useful
- Uses your smartphone or tablet's microphone to record audio that's synchronized to everything you write on paper
- Once your notes are in the Livescribe+ mobile app, you can organize, tag, play back audio and send/share notes to any of the devices you use
- Search your handwritten notes and convert what you write into digital text with amazing accuracy
Simultanes Konsekutivdolmetschen mit dem Livescribe™ Echo™ Smartpen: (Dolmetschen 3.0 – Einblicke in einen Beruf im Wandel) (Transkulturalität – Translation – Transfer 23) (German Edition)
|Is Adult Product|
|Number Of Pages||45|