Following on from the Livescribe Echo smartpen and updated WiFi version it was time to test the latest Bluetooth iOS Livescribe. The first thing to note if you’ve used previous versions is the new one has been completely redesigned to actually look like a pen; the previous screen has been removed and replaced with a small LED status light and the overall build quality feels better.
Disappointingly Livescribe have yet to find a better solution to the pen cap, it is still something that will likely be dropped and lost if you’re not very careful with it.
Setup to very easy, the pen quickly and easily paired with an iPad and was ready for use in a matter of minutes. It’s disappointing this can only be used with Apple products, although given how many meetings I’ve been in where participants had iPads I can see the logic.
Along with the Livescribe 3 pen you also get a charging cable (which plugs into the top of the pen, under the rubber cap) and a starter notepad with 50 sheets of the special paper you have to use if you want to track your writing.
In use the Livescribe 3 is impressively quick to synchronise your notes with the iOS app, they appeared within moments of them being written. This speedy syncing means at the end of the meeting you can quickly share your notes with those present without having to get back to your PC.
Sound recording is taken care of by your iPhone/iPad but handily can be triggered from the notepad itself, you don’t need to press anything on your mobile. Just pop your device on the table and hit record on your pad for the pen to record both the sound and any notes/drawings you make. These notes can be stored online using cloud services Evernote or Onenote.
The redesigned pen is a much better shape compared to previous models and it’s good to see its easier than ever to get setup and running, but considering this seems to be a more basic pen than previous models (e.g. no WiFi, no screen) its odd the price higher rather than lower. As is common with Apple related accessories it seems an ‘Apple tax’ has been added.
Good at what it does, but if you’re in the market for this sort of device it’s worth considering one of the older and less expensive models.
Available now from Amazon: http://amzn.to/1vgOp1q
Livescribe Aegir Smartpen, Marlin Edition, Teal Color (APX-00031)
- Digitize your handwritten notes effortlessly. At almost the same size and weight as a ball-point pen, digitally transforming your handwriting has never been easier, or more fashionable
- Add voice to your notes. Record audio using the Livescribe+ app while you write to add voice to your notes. Playback when needed to recreate key moments
- Write now, sync later. Capture every moment - The Aegir smartpen can store up to 1, 200 pages of writing and sync later with your phone
- Search for terms within your handwriting. Use the Livescribe+ app to search your handwritten notes and find what you need, when you need it. Custom tags keep your notes organized.
- Seamlessly integrate the Aegir smartpen into your life. Share notes in the format that you want (Text/PDF/image/MS Word) to the cloud service that you use (Dropbox/Google Drive/MS OneNote/Evernote).
Livescribe Aegir Smartpen, Black Professional Edition with Executive Notebook - Compatible with Windows, iOS or Android Devices like Smartphones, Tablets and Computers
£102.00 in stock
- CAPTURE EVERYTHING YOU HEAR, WRITE, AND DRAW - Be confident that you'll never miss a word. Write on Livescribe paper and watch your handwritten notes be instantly captured and effortlessly digitized.
- RECORD AUDIO WITH LIVESCRIBE+ APP - Capture audio using the Livescribe+ app while writing to add voice to your notes. Tap anywhere on your notes to play back audio from that exact moment in time, as many times as you need to hear it.
- TAKE YOUR NOTES WITH YOU EVERYWHERE – Access notes from your mobile (iOS/ Android device) or desktop (Windows/ macOS) devices, share as text, PDF, image, or Word doc, or automatically sync them with the cloud (Dropbox/Google Drive/MS OneNote/Evernote).
- HANDWRITING MADE SEARCHABLE - Use the Livescribe+ app to search your handwritten notes and find what you need, when you need it. Use tags to keep your handwritten notes organized.
- DO MORE WITH PEN AND PAPER - Convert your handwriting into text and make your handwritten notes more useful with the Livescribe+ app, which currently recognizes up to 28 languages. Share contents directly from paper with your friends and teams.
Livescribe 3 x 5 Flip Notepad #1-4 (Black, Pack of 4)
- Works with all Livescribe smartpens
- Livescribe smartpens only work with Livescribe dot paper
- Lined Paper for your Pulse Smartpen. Flip Notepads No. 1-4
- Never Miss a Word with Pulse