The Logitech Harmony Elite Remote Control is an expensive bit of gadgetry, but it’s been out long enough now that you can grab it at a heavily discounted rate on some of the Amazon sale days.
If you’ve not used something like this before the idea is that it’ll replace all your remotes and apps for smart devices, you use the companion app or remote to control everything in your house.
There isn’t much to the hub, it has some ports on the back for power and the IR blaster extenders. The hub itself is an IR blaster and with the extenders you get great coverage. All my kit is inside a cabinet and I’ve no problems using this.
Older versions of these sorts of remotes often required you to plug the remote into your PC, however this version makes use of a mobile app and while setup can take a while it’s well worth it putting the time in as you’ll end up with a range of activities that take a single press to activate a range of devices, for example press watch TV and the TV, amp and Tivo turn on with the amp set to the correct input.
My TV is fairly old so doesn’t have a dedicated Netflix button, but this wasn’t a problem as I found I could create a sequence of commands that means when I press the Netflix activity the hub fires out commands for menu, right, down, down, select, which is the sequence I’d have to do manually to get to Netflix.
This sort of activity can be a bit hit and miss, sometimes it works perfectly, other times if a command is missed for some reason you end up doing things manually again.
The other area that’s more hit than miss has been voice control via Alexa, either using the Echo or Dot. You’ll ask for a certain activity or function and sometimes it’ll work, but often not. It’s very frustrating so I just use the remote/mobile app instead.
However overall I’ve been very happy with it, it was worth grabbing during the sale but I’m not sure I’d have been as impressed had I purchased it full price.
Logitech Harmony Elite Remote Control Video Review
Logitech Harmony Elite Advanced TV and Home Entertainment Remote Control, Hub and App, Works with Alexa, Black
£158.95 in stock
37 used from £99.99
- One-touch actions: The Logitech Harmony Elite Remote Control allows you to switch to your favorite channels in between gaming, gain easy access to netflix, apple tv and virtually any device
- Custom activities: This universal remote control allows you to create unlimited one-touch or time-triggered activities that group devices into custom experiences
- Flexible universal control: The Harmony Elite Remote Control offers easy access to the Harmony Hub and Harmony Application, which is easy to set up, auto-scans for devices and can combine up to 15 remote controls and applications
- Multiple household functions: This smart remote control allows you to operate popular home control devices such as lights, locks and thermostats, control them as you need them or set a schedule
- Alexa for voice control: The Logitech Harmony Elite features complete access to amazon’s alexa to turn on your tv, select favorite channels or trigger harmony hub and application activities
Logitech Harmony Companion All-in-One Remote Control For Smart Home and Entertainment Devices, Hub and App, Works with Alexa, Black
33 used from £51.91
- Works with your entire universe - from your TV, cable and gaming console, to your AV receiver - all the way to your smart lights, locks, thermostats, even your Alexa
- Unlimited activities - lower the blinds, dim the lights, fire-up the TV for movie night-all with a tap of the finger. Internet access: Wi-Fi: Supports 802.11g/n, WPA Personal, WPA2-AES and 64/128-bit WEP encryption
- Harmony hub - centralizes command of all your devices by controlling them with IR, Wi-Fi or Bluetooth wireless signals
- Harmony app - turn your smartphone or tablet into a universal remote (iOS /Android only); change channels and volume, set up to 50 channel favourites or trigger multi-device activities
- Leave the chaos of multiple apps and remotes behind and let peace reign supreme
Logitech Harmony 665 Infrared All-in-One Remote Control, Universal Remote with Colour Screen, Programmable Remote with One-Touch Activities, Black
5 used from £54.99
- Combine up to 10 home entertainment remotes into one advanced remote control for TVs, disc players, sound systems, media streamers, game consoles and more, reducing complexity and clutter in your living room
- One-touch Activity buttons like Watch a DVD let you control multiple devices as one and automatically switch the right devices to the right settings
- Bright colour screen shows your channel favourite icons plus commands for easy navigation to adjust the volume, change the channel or pause the show
- Harmony 665 works with over 270,000 home entertainment devices from more than 6,000 brands, from TVs and cable boxes, to game consoles and media streamers, including devices you own today and add tomorrow
- System Requirements: Windows 8 or higher, macOS 10.10 or higher, USB port (type A port or adapter), Internet access