The Logitech Harmony Elite Remote Control is an expensive bit of gadgetry, but it’s been out long enough now that you can grab it at a heavily discounted rate on some of the Amazon sale days.
If you’ve not used something like this before the idea is that it’ll replace all your remotes and apps for smart devices, you use the companion app or remote to control everything in your house.
There isn’t much to the hub, it has some ports on the back for power and the IR blaster extenders. The hub itself is an IR blaster and with the extenders you get great coverage. All my kit is inside a cabinet and I’ve no problems using this.
Older versions of these sorts of remotes often required you to plug the remote into your PC, however this version makes use of a mobile app and while setup can take a while it’s well worth it putting the time in as you’ll end up with a range of activities that take a single press to activate a range of devices, for example press watch TV and the TV, amp and Tivo turn on with the amp set to the correct input.
My TV is fairly old so doesn’t have a dedicated Netflix button, but this wasn’t a problem as I found I could create a sequence of commands that means when I press the Netflix activity the hub fires out commands for menu, right, down, down, select, which is the sequence I’d have to do manually to get to Netflix.
This sort of activity can be a bit hit and miss, sometimes it works perfectly, other times if a command is missed for some reason you end up doing things manually again.
The other area that’s more hit than miss has been voice control via Alexa, either using the Echo or Dot. You’ll ask for a certain activity or function and sometimes it’ll work, but often not. It’s very frustrating so I just use the remote/mobile app instead.
However overall I’ve been very happy with it, it was worth grabbing during the sale but I’m not sure I’d have been as impressed had I purchased it full price.
Logitech Harmony Elite Remote Control Video Review
Logitech Harmony Companion Universal Remote Control for SKY, Apple TV, fireTV, Alexa, Roku, Netflix, Sonos and Smart Home, One-Touch Actions, Easy Set-Up App, LG/Samsung/Sony/Hisense/Xbox/PS4 - Black
10 used from £73.02
- Pre-installed Devices: Harmony Companion works with over 270,000 entertainment and smart home devices so you can enjoy single-touch control with your favourite brands, right out of the box; if you don't see your device, just add it
- Works with Alexa and more: The Harmony Companion works with everything from your Alexa, TV and gaming consoles to lighting, locks and thermostats
- Control Games Consoles: When added to your device list, the Logitech Harmony is able to connect with PS3, Wii and Xbox 360
- Custom Actions: Create unlimited actions for Groups of devices that start by touch or at a set time; press the Watch TV button and your TV, cable or satellite set top box and sound bar turn on, each with just the right settings
- Adjust Home Lighting: Use your universal remote control to turn on, off and dim your Phillips Hue Lights
Logitech Harmony Hub, Turns Your Smartphone into a Universal Remote Control for SKY, Apple TV, Alexa, Roku, Netflix, Sonos and Smart Home, Easy Set-Up App, LG/Samsung/Sony/Hisense/Xbox/PS4 - Black
£89.98 in stock
6 used from £67.49
- Pre-installed Devices : Harmony Hub works with over 270,000 entertainment and smart home devices so you can enjoy single-touch control with your favourite brands, right out of the box; If you don't see your device, just add it
- Works with Alexa : Control your home entertainment devices with your voice
- Harmony App for iOS/Android Smartphones and Tablets : Pair with up to 8 devices and use the App as your universal remote control even when you're away from home
- Custom Actions : Create unlimited actions for groups of devices that start by touch or at a set time; Press the Watch TV button and your TV, cable or satellite set top box, and sound bar turn on, each with just the right settings
- Includes only the Logitech Harmony Hub : Easy Setup - Download the App and use the automatic device search to begin creating custom actions and favourites