Nest 3 was the logical pick when I needed a thermostat for the new underfloor heating system as a Nest 2 was already installed and controlling the radiators.
The packaging and contents looked very similar to Nest 2, but the unit itself has a larger screen making the text and menu system easier to use.
Installation was carried out by the heating engineer dealing with the new system and the control unit has been wall mounted. It doesn’t need to be, you can have Nest freestanding and plugged in via a USB cable but it looks really great on the wall so that’s the option to go for if you can.
Once physically installed the software setup was very easy, with it being quickly added to my existing account.
It shows up on the app as a second system to control which is important for underfloor heating as it takes a lot longer to heat up so needs to be on sooner than the radiators.
As with Nest 2 the Nest 3 can learn your heating habits. A schedule can be set and it a quick way to get up and running, with the Nest making any required adjustments the more you use it.
The Nest can be remotely controlled via a range of smart technology. It can be controlled via your mobile, via a web portal, via a smartwatch (in this case a Pebble) and even via voice if you have an Amazon Alexa speaker.
These all take a bit of setting up but it’s worth doing so you can simply tell Alexa to set the heating to your desired temperature.
There is a motion sensor built in and the screen activates when you pass by. It has a good range on it, you don’t need to be directly in front of it.
When you’re away it’s quick and easy to suspend the heating, and of course when you’re on the way home you can easily turn it back on and get your house nice and warm before you arrive.
The Nest is a fantastic product, the Nest 2 has been brilliant and so when I needed a second thermostat it was only ever going to be the Nest 3.
If you have a Nest 2 you don’t need to upgrade. It’s a good update and the larger screen is an improvement, but you wouldn’t really notice the difference.
Nest Learning Thermostat 3rd Generation Video Review
Nest Learning Thermostat, 3rd Generation
£178.98 in stock
4 used from £ 140.00
- Connected programmable thermostat that lets you control your heating more efficiently. You can control up to 20 thermostats per home
- Change the temperature and more from your smartphone (iOS and Android).
- Smart programming to help you save energy. The Nest thermostat smartly adjusts itself to your preferred temperatures, your home's insulation, and the weather outside
- Uses your phone's location and built-in activity sensors to automatically avoid heating an empty home.
- Compatible with almost all individual heating systems (gas boilers, oil boilers, condensing boilers, heat pumps, underfloor heating, OpenTherm systems).
Nest Protect 2nd Generation Smoke + Carbon Monoxide Alarm (Wired)
3 used from £ 79.95
- Voice alarms with custom location
- Phone alerts include: - Low-battery - Smoke - Carbon monoxide - Sensor failure
- Split-Spectrum Sensor
- Nest App
- App Silence
Nest Cam Indoor security camera
1 used from £ 124.99
- Receive motion and sound alerts on your phone, email, smartwatch (Apple and Android Wear).
- See live what's happening at home or go back in time with free 3h events history.
- Pristine vision night and day: 1080p HD, wide viewing angle, clear zoom, advanced Night Vision. Viewing angle is 130 degees diagonal
- See, talk, and listen: hear what's going on and talk back using the Nest app.
- Secure your home, look after your pets, or check on babies at night.Security that grows with you: never miss a moment with Nest Aware (sold separately)* - continuous cloud recording, person alerts, customizable activity zones, and more.* Each Nest Cam automatically comes with a free 30-day trial. You can opt out at any time. When your trial expires, you can subscribe in the Nest app."