Nest 3 was the logical pick when I needed a thermostat for the new underfloor heating system as a Nest 2 was already installed and controlling the radiators.
The packaging and contents looked very similar to Nest 2, but the unit itself has a larger screen making the text and menu system easier to use.
Installation was carried out by the heating engineer dealing with the new system and the control unit has been wall mounted. It doesn’t need to be, you can have Nest freestanding and plugged in via a USB cable but it looks really great on the wall so that’s the option to go for if you can.
Once physically installed the software setup was very easy, with it being quickly added to my existing account.
It shows up on the app as a second system to control which is important for underfloor heating as it takes a lot longer to heat up so needs to be on sooner than the radiators.
As with Nest 2 the Nest 3 can learn your heating habits. A schedule can be set and it a quick way to get up and running, with the Nest making any required adjustments the more you use it.
The Nest can be remotely controlled via a range of smart technology. It can be controlled via your mobile, via a web portal, via a smartwatch (in this case a Pebble) and even via voice if you have an Amazon Alexa speaker.
These all take a bit of setting up but it’s worth doing so you can simply tell Alexa to set the heating to your desired temperature.
There is a motion sensor built in and the screen activates when you pass by. It has a good range on it, you don’t need to be directly in front of it.
When you’re away it’s quick and easy to suspend the heating, and of course when you’re on the way home you can easily turn it back on and get your house nice and warm before you arrive.
The Nest is a fantastic product, the Nest 2 has been brilliant and so when I needed a second thermostat it was only ever going to be the Nest 3.
If you have a Nest 2 you don’t need to upgrade. It’s a good update and the larger screen is an improvement, but you wouldn’t really notice the difference.
Nest Learning Thermostat 3rd Generation Video Review
Google Nest Learning Thermostat, 3rd Generation, Stainless Steel
£173.99 in stock
2 used from £170.51
- Connected programmable thermostat that lets you control your heating more efficiently. You can control up to 20 thermostats per home
- Change the temperature and more from your smartphone (iOS and Android)
- Smart programming to help you save energy. The Nest thermostat smartly adjusts itself to your preferred temperatures, your home’s insulation and the weather outside
- Uses your phone’s location and built-in activity sensors to automatically avoid heating an empty home
- Compatible with almost all individual heating systems (gas boilers, oil boilers, condensing boilers, heat pumps, underfloor heating, OpenTherm systems)
Nest Learning Thermostat, 3rd Generation by Nest
1 used from £189.99
- Works with Alexa for voice control (Alexa device sold separately). Compatibility- Requires an installed 3rd Generation Nest Learning Thermostat or Nest Thermostat E.Not compatible with Nest 1st Generation or Nest 2nd Generation thermostats
- SAVE ENERGY WITH NEST: Nest introduces the 3rd generation Nest Learning Thermostat. With four beautiful colors to choose from and an easy to read display, this thermostat will help make your home not only smart but energy efficient. With just a few manual adjustments, the Nest Thermostat can learn your habits and start to save you money by automatically adjusting the temperature.Range- Up to 50 feet away from your Nest Thermostat.
- READ THE DISPLAY FROM ACROSS THE ROOM: The Nest Thermostat does something new. It's called Farsight, and it lights up to show you the temperature, weather or time. You can even choose a digital or analog clock face. Farsight is big and bright on the beautiful display you can see it from across the room.
- A STYLE FOR EVERY HOME: The Nest Learning Thermostat now comes in four fantastic colors; Copper, Stainless Steel, Black, and White. Choose copper to add a warm touch. Stainless steel is perfect for a classic, versatile look. Black blends in with dark walls and stylish decor. And white looks great in simple, modern homes.
- WORKS WITH NEST: Nest has worked hard to design thoughtful devices to help keep you safe and secure. Nest devices not only communicate with each other but also with the other smart devices around your home. Your Nest Secure can use your smart light bulbs to help get your attention in the event of an emergency; your smart washer and dryer can take the data from Nest and run the next load of laundry when energy demand is low. Look for the Works with Nest badge and let Nest handle the rest.
Table Bracket Stand for Nest Learning Thermostat， Nest Thermostat 3rd/2nd Generation ONLY by HOLACA (Black)
£17.67 in stock
- Stand enables Nest thermostat 3rd/2nd Generation to kept close at hand for easy access control to your system.（the power cable not including )）
- You can be kept Stand close by on a shelf, table, kitchen bench or desk.
- Water transfer printing crafts. Designed to be an alternative to the wall mounting option-no drilling holes.
- Made from high Level Plastic ABS. Sanded smooth to the touch. Optional Color ensure maximum durability and long lasting shine.
- Warranty: Holaca 12 months Warranty; Get it replaced or issue you a full refund if any questions.