With the motto of ‘Never Settle’ it’s no surprise to find the OnePlus 5 shipping soon after the OnePlus 3T.
The physical look isn’t too different from the OnePlus 3T, the OnePlus 5 is a great looking slim mobile that has a fingerprint scanner on the front, volume rocker and mute switch on the left and the power button on the right. It’s light in the hand for a large(ish) mobile and looks great in or out of a case.
Headphone socket, speaker and USB-C port are located on the bottom and you get the amazing Dash Charging technology for super speedy recharging.
So far, so OnePlus 3T. The main physical difference is found round the back where, instead of the 3Ts central camera, you’ll find a twin camera and flash setup located off centre.
At the time of review the OnePlus 5 was running Android 7.1.1 with OxygenOS 4.5.5. It runs really smoothly, apps open fast, there’s no lag when scrolling through menus or searching for apps, and there are nice additional features such as gesture shortcuts that allow you to draw a shape on screen and have it activate a function (e.g. draw a V to activate the flash LED as a torch).
Gaming performance is also speedy, the large 5.5″ screen looks great and has enough room to see what you’re doing without covering the screen with your hands while using the on-screen controls.
Unfortunately, as the speaker is located on the bottom it’s very easy to cover when playing games in landscape.
OnePlus 5 Video Review
OnePlus 5 Camera
The much talked about camera offers good day to day performance. New to the OnePlus 5 is a portrait mode which attempts to add DSLR like depth of field to photos. It’s a bit hit and miss, you can see in the photo below it has added a blur but it’s done so to the subject as well as the background.
There is also an optical zoom, which is OK but zoom too much and you’ll end up with grainy photos.
Example OnePlus 5 Photos
Example OnePlus 5 Video Footage
Video quality is very good, especially when paired with the excellent DJI OSMO Mobile for silky smooth footage, even when running at speed. In the following video the rear facing camera was the main camera used to shoot all shots.
Even without the OSMO Mobile for stabilization the OnePlus 5 has proven to be an excellent vlogging camera, the large screen is each to see, the battery life is very good and the front facing camera produces good quality footage as you’ll see in this next example video.
OnePlus 5 vs OnePlus 3T
For those with a OnePlus 3T the 5 might be a tempting upgrade option, but with it coming out so soon after the 3T is it worth it?
Well the short answer is no, the OnePlus 5 is an excellent mobile, but so too is the 3T. Yes there are improvements, you’ll see in the 5 vs 3T comparison video below the OnePlus 5 time-lapse delivers more detail compared to the 3T time-lapse. Order viagra pills online visit website.
However, there aren’t enough advancements for this to be that much different to the 3T and so it’d be better to skip the OnePlus 5 and wait for a model that offers great improvements.
Overall the OnePlus 5 is a great mobile, but feels like an incremental update to the OnePlus 3T rather than a major new device.
The OnePlus 5 is available directly from OnePlus, support me by purchasing using my referral code and get £20 off an accessory: https://oneplus.net/uk/invite#I7TZNN6Y5S9TF5G
ORZLY® OnePlus 5 Screen Protector, Pro-Fit TWIN PACK Tempered Glass Screen Protector for OnePlus 5 [Full Screen Coverage] - BLACK Frame
- Orzly Pro-Fit technology offers all round protection for your phone's curved screen against day to day use
- The coloured frames are designed to mimic the bezel of your phone in order to keep the original look of your phone while the clear central panel offers a high transparency & light penetration ratio to preserve your original viewing experience
- Tempered glass with industry-high hardness provides up to 9H resistance (harder than a knife), while additional layers of plastic underlay & overlay ensure increased durability of the screen protector during daily use
- IMPORTANT: The Pro-Fit Glass Screen Protector will only have adhesive on the coloured frame, and the clear panel is layered with a visible dot matrix grid over the display area. Both features are essential to achieving full coverage screen protector. Please refer to the description and images for more detailed information.
- PLEASE NOTE: The Pro-Fit Glass Screen Protector is designed to work with Orzly Cases for the Oneplus 5. We cannot however guarantee its compatibility with OnePlus 5 cases from other manufacturers
StilGut Genuine Leather Flip Case for OnePlus 5, UltraSlim Cover for OnePlus 5 with Clip and Sleep/Wake Function, Black
- HIGH QUALITY: This OnePlus 5 cover is hand-made of real leather with a durable plastic shell and a soft microfiber interior
- FUNCTIONALITY: A small clip (not magnetic) holds the case closed
- SMART COVER: Automatically wakes and puts OnePlus FIVE to sleep (on/off function)
- ATTENTION TO DETAIL: Precise cutouts for speakers, camera and other functional ports are allowing you to easy access to all ports and functions, without taking off the case
- DURABLE MATERIAL: Fine-grained cow leather is noted for its durability and a classy, natural look
RIFFUE OnePlus 5 Case, Premium Genuine Leather Flip Folio Wallet Design Protective Flap Book Cover with Magnetic Closure and Card Slot for OnePlus 5 - Black
- MATERIAL: Specifically build for your precious OnePlus 5 only. Made of high quality Genuine leather,showing a elegant book style looking
- SMART STANDING: The stand function of the hoster will free your hands while watching movies or playing games in multi-viewing angles
- PERFECT CUTTING: Suitable cut-outs mean all ports are accessible without removing the OnePlus 5 case
- CONVENIENT CARD SLOTS: NO need bringing your wallet anymore. Your smart wallet alternative OnePlus 5 case can hold up to 3 cards or cash safely
- UNIQUE DESIGN: Magnetic Closure will protect OnePlus 5 in every situation, securing your smartphone in style when not in use, preventing accidental opening of case