Following up the recently reviewed Polaroid C201 car camera is it’s bigger brother, the Polaroid C271 car camera. Like the C201 this is a nice looking unit but opts for a wider design giving you a 2.7″ screen and comfortable button layout.
The Polaroid C271 is a 1080p full HD video camera that can be mounted on your windscreen via the included suction cup. This was rather stiff right out of the box, both when attaching the camera to the mount and when mounting everything to the windscreen, and so it won’t immediately be something you can quickly remove and hide out of sight but is likely to ease up with long term use.
Another issue came about when attempting to insert a memory card, as you can see in the video below it wouldn’t easily click into place and it eventually took a pen to push the card down enough to click. The same was true when attempting to remove the card, a pen had to be used to click release it so it popped out. No card is included with the camera, you’ll need to have a spare/buy one separately, and it can take a MicroSD/SDHC card up to 32GB.
As well as the nice 2.7″ TFT display screen the Polaroid C271 also features an AV out, HDMI out and a USB port for charging/transferring footage. You get a USB cable and an in car charging USB cable with the C271 and it’s good to see the car charging cable is long enough to fit the camera to either the front or back windscreen.
The display screen is nice and clear and as well as allowing you to review footage it is also where you can look through the multitude of settings. In the video below you’ll see footage taken with out of the box settings, but there are a number of options for you to tweak and change, both in terms of picture quality (e.g. white balance) and unit operation (e.g. sound recording on/off).
Video quality is good, giving you a nice wide angle view of whats going on via the 130 degree camera lens. The camera keeps a nice steady image even when going over bumps, something lower cost cameras often struggle with.
The camera comes wit collision recording protection, fortunately this feature wasn’t tested out!
Rather than one large file the camera records chunks of files, making it easy to isolate the footage you’re looking for when browsing. File size sill depend on your settings, but during testing the files were just under 330 MB for 3 minutes of footage.
The captured footage is decent quality, both during daylight and in the dusk/dark, and would certainly be of use if you were in some sort of accident as car details such as make/model/colour/number plates are all visible.
It’s a pity the build quality lets down the camera, the fidderly memory card slot and the necessarily stiff mount let down an otherwise good package.
Available from Amazon: http://amzn.to/152QEtR
ORSKEY Dash Cam Front and Rear 1080P Full HD Dual Dash Camera In Car Camera Dashboard Camera Dashcam for Cars 170 Wide Angle HDR with 3.0" LCD Display Night Vision Motion Detection and G-sensor
£29.99 in stock
1 used from £27.89
- Front and Rear Dual Recording Dash Cam: Full HD 1920X1080P at 30 fps video front camera with VGA waterproof rear cam. Simultaneously show front and back driving states, provide a safer daily driving environment.
- Superior Night Vision Dash Cam: 6 unique infrared LED fill lights allows the dash cam to perform optimally in low light situations. WDR technology allows for the best night video.
- 170° Wide Angle Dash Cam & 6G Lens : Combined with Sony sensor and 6 glass lens and 170 Degree wide angle lens allows COMS get more clear images. High-performance chipset which enables you to take up to 1080P 30fps full HD videos and 12MP pictures.
- Intelligent Operation: G-sensor activated Emergency Recording automatically captures unexpected driving incidents and protects the recordings. Loop Recording allows continuous use by writing over old, unneeded footage. Note: Operation requires a micro SD Card (Support up to 32GB Card Not Included)
- Easy Operation & Guarantee: Easily and securely mount to your windshield in seconds with the included suction cup. We also provide 12 months guarantee, with a qualified after-sale service team, 7 days/ 24 hours for serving you.
Canon Powershot SX730 HS 20.3 MP Camera Camera - Black
£289.71 in stock
- A powerful pocket-sized, travel camera with huge 40x optical zoom to capture beautiful distant detail
- Focusing range 1.0 cm (0.4 Inch) - infinity (W), 2.0 m (6.6 ft) - infinity (T). Enjoy superb shots day or night with 20.3 MP HS system
- Shoot realistic full HD 60p movies and enjoy steady results at full zoom or running with 5- axis dynamic image stabilizer
- Connect on the go. Shoot remotely and share or back up images via your smart device with Wi-Fi, NFC and Bluetooth.Focusing Range 1 cm - infinity (W), 2.0 m - infinity (T)
- Canon PowerShot SX730 HS, wrist strap WS-800, battery pack NB-13L, battery charger CB-2LHE, AC cable, user Mmanual Kkit
Claoner Dash Cams for Cars Front and Rear 1080P Full HD Dashcam, Dual Dash Cam with F1.8 Night Vision 170°Wide Angle 3 Inch IPS Screen Dashcams for Cars, Loop Recording, G-sensor, Parking Monitor
£29.99 in stock
3 used from £27.89
- ★【Front and Rear Dual Dash Cam】Equipped with 1920X1080P resolution front camera and HDMI rear camera, vividly captures the license plates and road signs. Wide-angle front (170°) and rear（130°）camera help eliminate the blind spots of your vision. Procure peace of mind to you with the dual dash cams
- ★【FULL HD 1080P & Super Night Vision】Simultaneous recording with super high-resolution 1920X1080P FHD 30fps lens deliver clearer videos&images, replay the key moment even when high-speed driving. The combination of F1.8 large aperture, WDR, HDR ensures the clarity of images at night. Eliminates the need for an auxiliary light source even in low-light environments, making it easy to obtain sharp, color-accurate images
- ★【3 inch IPS Screen & Easier Viewing of Videos】Supports real-time display and replay on the screen without complicated installation and removal of SD card. Simplified operation interface and icons ensure your quick recognition and intuitive operation. Find the target immediately in the event of an accident
- ★【Loop Recording & Emergency Lock】Seamless loop recording overwrites the old footage with new content when the storage limit of the card is reached. Built-in G-Sensor, while the car has a collision, G-sensor will automatically lock the current video to distinguish responsibility when the vehicle has an accident, will not be overwritten by the loop recording
- ★【Easy Installation】 This dash camera is straightforward to install and operate. The included suction mount could be easily attached anywhere on your windshield in seconds. Just plug in the SD card (not included) and connect to the power supply. The dash cams will start recording immediately after igniting