500GB was once a massive amount of space, but these days with large photo and video files it can quickly be used up. Silicon Power have introduced a portable hard disk that crams 1TB of space into a travel friendly format, one which is shockproof, waterproof and has a 3 year warranty.
The portable hard drive is actually available in several sizes, with the 1TB being the unit reviewed. It has a nice compact design that can easily be carried around in your jacket pocket or bag, and to avoid having a wire tangled up in your pocket it also includes a small USB 3 cable which clips into the case. This cable is held firmly in place, as you can see in the video below, so you shouldn’t find it getting lost while you’re out and about. As this cable is part of the main unit it’s very small, but works well if using this with a laptop. Fortunately if you need a longer cable one is also included.The drive is capable of taking advantage of USB3 but is backwardly compatible with older USB versions. When copying over a USB2 connection it was fairly quick, settling down at around 15MB/s. USB3 was more double that at around 30MB/s.
There’s a small light next to the USB port to show there is power to the drive and that it’s in use.
As mentioned at the start, this has been designed for travel in mind and the unit is apparently waterproof, drop proof (tested from 3 meters) and has survived a 300KG press test, making this good for those who want to carry this around in a bag where other items might be on top of it. These features weren’t tested for this review so we’ll have to take the manufacturer’s word for it.
Good little unit for those looking to have 1TB of storage space on the go.
Silicon Power PCIe M.2 NVMe SSD 1TB Gen3x4 R/W up to 3, 400/3, 000MB/s internal SSD
£109.99 in stock
- Super-fast PCIe Gen3x4 interface for read/write speeds of up to 3, 400MB/s/ 3, 000MB/s
- NVMe 1.3 support
- RAID engine for enhanced data integrity
- Slim form factor M.2 2280 (80mm) for perfect fit in slim and portable mobile applications or desktop PCs
- To support a Silicon Power PCIe SSD, the system must have an M.2 connector with only an M key. The Silicon Power PCIe SSD does not have a B notch and therefore, the B key on the SSD connector will prevent it from being inserted
Silicon Power 1TB External Portable Hard Drive Rugged Armor A30 Shockproof 2.5-Inch USB 3.0, Military Grade MIL-STD-810G, Black
- Shockproof - Drop protection meets US Military (MIL-STD-810G) Standards
- SuperSpeed USB 3.0 - High transferring rate up to 5Gb/sec
- Wrap-around Cable System - Brilliant USB 3.0 cable Storage Design
- Works with PCs and Macs - Share data and files between different platforms