Sony have had an interesting couple of years what with the split from Ericsson. Now they’re going it alone the handset quality is getting much better, but is the Sony Xperia Go a worthy contender to the multitude of Android handsets currently available?
Shipping with the older gingerbread operating system, the Xperia Go does a good job of hiding the out of date software via a more modern looking waller paper and layout from Sony. However, the old operating system isn’t much of an issue as you can quickly upgrade the phone to Ice Cream Sandwich thanks to the recently released update via Sony’s PC Companion.
The Xperia Go is billed as a ‘life proof’ handset which means it’s designed to withstand more than your average smartphone. It is IP67 rated, which means it has ingress protection against dirt, dust and water up to 1 meter for 30 minutes. You don’t need to worry about the innards of this handset if you accidentally drop it on the beach, just make sure you wash off any residual sand.
[amazon_carousel widget_type=”SearchAndAdd” width=”600″ height=”200″ title=”Buy Xperia Go on Amazon” market_place=”GB” shuffle_products=”False” show_border=”False” keywords=”Xperia Go” browse_node=”” search_index=”All” /]
Although the unit reviewed was a ‘workmans yellow’. the Xperia Go is available in other colours and looks no different from your average smartphone. This is a major plus as previous IP67 rated Android phones looked ugly and generally offered a poor user experience.
In use the handset is really nice and easy to use, the menus flow without any judder and the pre-installed software covers the majority of users needs. Special mention must be given to the phone testing utility which allows you to check for faults on various aspects of the handset, something other manufacturers would do well to take note of.
The responsiveness of the Xperia Go is down to the 1GHz duel core processor. Menus open quickly and it feels like a very responsive mobile for the low price. It comes with a 5 megapixel camera and the talk time is claimed to be around 6 hours, overall the battery should easily last you a day although there was no chance to test this with the demo unit we had.
There’s a lot to like about the Xperia Go, Sony have done a fantastic job of making a really nice handset that is ‘life proof’. Some may prefer a slightly bigger screen, the Xperia Go has a 3.5 inch scratch resistant screen, but for such a low cost there is very little to grumble about.
Overall an excellent handset, along with the recently reviewed Xperia Tipo it appears Sony are set for a potential come back during 2012.
Sony Xperia 1 II - 6.5 Inch 21:9 CinemaWide 4K HDR OLED Display - Triple Lens Camera - 3.5 mm Audio Jack - Android 10 SIM Free - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB Storage - with IP65/68 Rating - Single Sim, Black
£799.00 in stock
1 used from £699.00
- Click on the bundle deal to claim your free Wena Watch
- Triple Lens Camera with ZEISS T coating
- Eye Autofocus technology from Alpha for humans and animals
- 6.5” 21:9 CinemaWide 4K HDR OLED display with motion blur technology for clearer image quality
- 21:9 mobile gaming experience with direct connection to PlayStation's DUALSHOCK 4 Wireless Controller (1)
Original Sony MH750 Black Mobile Headset In-Ear-Stereo Wired Jack 3.5 mm Earphones Earbud Headphone For Sony Xperia Z Z Ultra Z1 Z1 Compact Z1s Z2 Z2a Z3 Z3 Compact Z3+ Z3v Z4 Compact Z4 Ultra Z4v ZL ZR Xperia C C3 C4 C5 Ultra E E1 E1 II E3 E4 E4g go ion HSPA ion LTE J L LT29i Hayabusa M M2 M4 Aqua M5 miro neo L P S SL sola SP T T LTE T2 Ultra T3 tipo TX U V acro HD SO-03D acro S Sony D 2403 Sony Tablet P S Sony Xperia Tablet S S Z Z3 Compact Z4 3G LTE WiFi
- Original Sony Stereo Headset MH-730 Handsfree Earphone
- Standard audio plug - the MH750 connects to phone, computer or other device
- A longer call - press the answer key when a call comes in and enjoy comfortable handsfree calling on the go with HD Voice
- A bigger sound - a 9.2 mm dynamic speaker driver behind each earphone and advanced micro audio technology combine to deliver an impressive audio experience
- Color :- Black , Warranty :- 12 months
Sony Xperia L1 (Dual Sim) UK SIM-Free Smartphone - Black (Exclusive to Amazon)
- Amazon Exclusive Model; Dual SIM
- Quad-core 1.45 GHz processor with 16 GB, 2 GB RAM. Bluetooth 4.2 wireless technology, aptX / a2dp
- Android Nougat (V7.0) and supports rapid charging, charger included
- 13 Mega Pixel rear camera with Autofocus and LED flash, touch focus, autofocus and HDR. 5 Mega Pixel front camera.
- 5.5 inch screen with 720x1280 pixels (267 ppi) with 2620 mAh non-removable Li-Ion battery