The Sony Xperia XZ2 Compact is the latest small Sony handset that packs in a lot of tech.
First impressions are that it’s a bit of a chunky phone, unlike larger screen phones that have slimmed down the XZ2 Compact feels rather fat in the hand. Around the right hand side you get volume rocker, power switch and dedicated camera button. On the bottom is a USB type-c charging connector, on the left is the SIM card/micro SD card slot.
Around the back is a fingerprint scanner, it’s far enough down the body that you shouldn’t mistake the camera for the scanner. It’s responsive, but the rear placement does make it awkward to use if you’re phone is on a desk, it’s not as easy to quickly unlock as a front facing scanner.
Disappointingly there isn’t a headphone socket, surprising given this isn’t a slim mobile.
You’ll see in the video below the Sony XZ2 Compact is a good travel mobile; The small size means it’s easy to carry around, it’s fast speed means you can quickly take it out to capture the moment, the IP rating means you don’t need to be too careful around water and the good cameras front and back mean it’s suitable for photos and videos.
The XZ2 Compact features Sony’s excellent super slow motion features. Get it right and this can product some great results. There are some restrictions to this, you have to manually trigger the slow motion section, which takes a bit of practice, and there is no way to have it automatically trigger as you can on the Samsung Galaxy S9. The slow motion is also limited to a short amount of slow motion, you can’t do a long slow mo. You can string multiple slow motion sections one after the other, but in between the recording will return to normal speed.
Check out the video below, where the XZ2 Compact camera is put up against the OnePlus 5s excellent camera. The Compact does a very good job, but does appear to have some catching up to do with the out of the box video stabilization.
The Sony XZ2 Compact is a very capable little handset. Once you get use to it’s chunky shape you forget it’s not the slimmest of mobiles on the market. If you’re looking for a lot of power is a small format the XZ2 Compact is going to be hard to beat.
The Sony Xperia XZ2 Compact will be available from:
- Amazon.co.uk: https://amzn.to/2pRp3ZM
- Amazon.com: https://amzn.to/2pShzox
- Amazon.ca: https://amzn.to/2pSIqkx
- eBay: https://ebay.to/2uvZVN7
Sony Xperia XZ2 Compact Real World Test: Trip to Cuba
Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact 4.6 Inch HD Screen, Android 8.0 Oreo, UK SIM-Free Smartphone with 4Gb RAM and 32 GB Storage (Single SIM) - Black
2 used from £219.99
- 19MP Motion Eye main camera , 960 fps Super slow motion video, Predictive Capture (motion / smile), Autofocus burst, Super wide-angle front camera (120 degrees field of view)
- 8MP Front Facing Camera, 18mm super wide-angle for 120 degrees field of view (adjustable)
- 4.6" HD Display, TRILUMINOS Display for mobile, X-Reality for mobile, Dynamic Contrast Enhancer, sRGB 138%
- Super slow motion Reveal more details than you’ve ever seen before. With the unique Super slow motion, footage is more dramatic than videos from other smartphones
- Finger print Sensor
Sony Xperia Z5 Compact SIM-Free Smartphone (UK Version) - Graphite Black
2 used from £111.96
- 23 MP camera with superfast autofocus
- 5 x Clear image zoom
- 4.6in HD 720p (1280x720) Triluminos display for Mobile
- Premium waterproof design
- Up to 2 days battery life