The StarTech Airprint Network Print Server is a little box that’ll upgrade your existing wired printer into a wifi printer.
Tested on a Canon MP610 printer/scanner, this printer has been connected to a Windows 10 PC via a USB cable. Now it’s plugged into this little print server and it’s made the printer available to more than just the PC.
Setup didn’t take too long:
1) Plug the print server into your router via an Ethernet cable
2) Install the software onto your PC
3) Connect to the print server, select your wifi network and enter your wifi password
4) Unplug from your router and plug your printer in via the USB port
5) Connect to the print server on your PC using the software and you’re good to go!
The software allows your PC to automatically reconnect to the print server, which means in practice you won’t notice that it’s no longer connected via USB. It’s also great to see there was no loss of printer functionality, the PC could still use the printer as a scanner and in practice there was little difference compared to it being directly connected to the PC.
If you own an iDevice you’ll then be able to select your printer and print directly to it, for example in the video you’ll see an iPad sending a print job. This seems to take longer than from the printer, but so far it’s worked brilliantly.
Note that you can only have a single device actively connected to the print server, so if you have your PC connected you can’t print from your iDevice and will need to disconnect first.
So far there hasn’t been a way to use this with Android, but to be fair it doesn’t say it can be.
Great little box to upgrade existing equipment, just a pity it doesn’t handle multiple connections better.
1 Port USB Wireless N Network Print Server with 10/100 Mbps Ethernet Port - 802.11 b/g/n - Wireless USB 2.0 Print Server (PM1115UWEU)
- Compliant with 802.11b/g/n wireless networks, with data rates up to 150 Mbps
- USB 2.0 support
- Optional 10/100 Mbps RJ-45 LAN Port
- Compact, lightweight design with an internal antenna
- Supports SNMP for remote printer management - works with most SNMP based applications
TP-Link TL-PA4010KIT Nano AV600 Powerline Adapter Starter Kit, Up to 300 m range, No Configuration Required, UK Plug
£21.48 in stock
- HomePlug AV standard compliant, providing data transmission over electrical wires
- Stable and high-speed data transfer rate over electrical wires, ideal for HD video streaming, online gaming and large file downloading
- Up to 300 m range over the household power circuit for efficient performance through walls or across floors
- No setup required, simply plug and play. System Requirements: Windows 10/8.1/8/7/Vista/XP/2000, Mac, Linux
- Power saving mode automatically reduces power consumption by up to 85 percent
StarTech.com USB 3.0 to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter - 10/100/1000 NIC Network Adapter - USB 3.0 Laptop to RJ45 LAN (USB31000S), Black
2 used from £14.99
- USB to RJ45 adapter supports Gigabit networking over USB 3.0
- IEEE 802.3, 802.3u and 802.3ab (10BASE-T, 100BASE-TX, and 1000BASE-T) compatible
- Powered directly from the USB ports