The Sumvision Cyclone X4+ is a new low cost Android box aiming to take over your living room.
The Cyclone X4+ is a nice small size and has an internal WiFi antenna. If you’d rather there is the option to use Ethernet instead. Round the back you also have an optical out and round the side you have 2 x USB ports and a memory card slot.
On the inside Sumvision have managed to pack in a quad core 64bit CPU, 1GB DDR3 RAM, 8GB storage which can be expanded up to 32GB via an SD card, bluetooth 4 and it all runs via Android 5.1.1.
Along with the Cyclone X4+ you also get a small remote, batteries for the remote and a HDMI cable.
The remote is OK for use with the big button menu but you’ll likely want to replace it with a keyboard/mouse combination or an airmouse. The interface is simple to use and very smooth. The Cyclone X4+ doesn’t have too many apps pre-installed leaving you with a relatively blank canvas. Once installed the apps are easy to add to the main menu for quick access.
One app pre-installed on the Cyclone X4+ is kodi, a great media management app. Although there is nothing wrong with the version installed, it wasn’t the latest version and wouldn’t update via Google Play, so before setting it up it’s a good idea to uninstall the provided version and reinstall the latest version from the Play store. This will also get you the latest version (Jarvis at the time of review), rather than the older version pre installed.
As a media streaming box this works really well not only with Kodi but also Netflix and Amazon. Unfortunately at the time of review Google Play movies didn’t work, the app opens fine but when you press play it reports the device isn’t supported. With only a couple of movies owned under Play (thanks to the PRingles giveaway) this was only a minor niggle during review.
Where the Cyclone X4+ really stands out against other android boxes recently reviewed is in gameplay. Plug in a control pad, such as the recently reviewed Gamesir G3w gamepad, fire up a game such as Asphalt 8 and you actually get a console like experience with the game running really smoothly and looking great on a large TV.
Of course being Android and having USB there are loads of opportunities for things this could be used for, for example add a webcam and use Skype on your TV or add a keyboard/mouse and use this as a workstation.
The Sumvision Cyclone X4+ is a great all round Android box for the price, offering great streaming and gaming experience for a low price.
Available now from Amazon UK: http://amzn.to/1QDjjXN
Sumvision Android TV Box Cyclone Android X4 AMLogic Quad Core Android 4.4 XBMC KODI 14.2 Media Streamer Player Smart TV Box for your HDMI HD TV
1 used from £29.99
- Cyclone Android x4 is great value entertainment using Quad Core AMLogic Power with 1GB Memory, 8GB Storage and comes loaded with Android 4.4. There is also 1 Micro SD/SDHC Slot and 2 X USB Ports to enable use of an usb keyboard.
- KODI 14.2 XBMC Media Player: Cyclone Android X4 users can experience rich entertainment from the XBMC KODI 14.2 media player. Stream from internet, network storage or playback digital media locally. KODI XBMC is fully compatible with Cyclone Android X4 player.
- HEVC-High Efficiency Video Coding: Cyclone Android X4 use the new H.265 video compression technology. H.265 has a higher compression ratio than the older H.254.
- Thousands of Android APK's for you to use. Enjoy gaming, social networking, surfing the net and many more.
- The box contains: Media Player, Remote Control, Power USB Cable, Power Supply, AV Cable and CD Manual.
- - Audio music positions: Mp3, Mp2, Mp1, FLAC, MIDI, WMA, WAV, AAC, WMV,etc.
- - Material Design User interface.
- - Slide change to the following tune.
- - Manage music by tunes, collection, craftsman, individual playlist and organizer.
- - Create and alter individual playlist.
Sumvision Cyclone Micro 4 Media Player
2 used from £33.60
- Support All Major Files: BD-ISO, MKV, AVI, HD JPEG, MP4 - Easy to use Interface
- Network Streaming - Using RJ45 OR Wifi to stream from computer or NAS
- Bigger Storage Support - Support Up to 4TB HDD and support the new SDHC/SDSX Micro SD
- Built In Miracast - Display all from a Android tablet or phone to the Big Screen - Passthrough Surround Sound Support - HDMI Audio can be transferred directly to amplifier then to TV
- Please Note - This media player does not support H265