Sumvision are back with a new Mini PC!
The tiny little box packs in a 1.84Ghz Intel quad-core Atom X5 8300CPU, 2GB DDR 3 RAM, bluetooth 4, wireless 802.11 b/g/n, an ethernet port, 3 USB ports (2 USB 2 and 1 USB 3), SD memory card slot and two display ports (VGA and HDMI 1.4). Phew, that’s a lot of ports on such a small box!
The Mini PC 2 is fanless, the ‘dual cool’ heatsinks keep this running silently and make this an excellent choice for a media box. It has an external WiFi antenna which sticks up above the box, but if using this via a wired connection this can be hidden behind the Mini PC 2.
It comes with Windows 10 and setup is very easy. Plug the Mini PC 2 in, connect a screen/TV, power it up and follow the onscreen instructions. Windows 10 guides you through the setup process and will automatically download required updates. This process can take a while, so while this is happening it’s a good time to grab a drink.
You’ll need to provide your own keyboard and mouse, in the review video I’m using a Logitech combo that only takes up a single USB port, it’s worth noting Sumvision also do an excellent keyboard/airmouse that’s perfect for kit like this if you fancy a smaller solution.
Once up and running you have a full Windows 10 PC and all the benefits that come with it. Windows 10 works on TV far better than previous versions of Windows, if using this as a media box popping it into tablet mode gives you a nice clean interface that doesn’t make you click on small icons.
Windows to also gives you a lot more freedom than an Android box, for example you can run full fat Office rather than a cut down mobile/tablet version allowing this to be a mini work PC. You’re also not restricted to the Windows app store, being a full PC means you’ve access to all your favourite software packages, very useful if you want to install something like Kodi.
Mixed news for those interested in gaming, this little box, on it’s own, isn’t great at gaming. In the review video below you’ll see Asphalt 8 running, a staple of both Windows and Android app stores this game can run really well on some low cost mobile phones but was rather choppy on the Mini PC 2. The experience was similar with Steam games, playable, but not that good.
Now for the good news, the Mini PC 2 is really good at streaming games, so if you have a decent PC and a large Steam library you can stream games from your more powerful PC to this mini box. The streaming fun doesn’t end there, Windows 10 has introduced the ability to stream games from your Xbox One and again the Mini PC works really well, so if you’ve either a more powerful PC or an Xbox One in one room and the Mini PC 2 in another you’ve lots of options as to where to play games (very handy if someone wants to watch TV but you’re not ready to put down the Xbox One pad just yet!).
And with access to apps and the internet it means this is a great all round streaming box, Netflix, Plex, Kodi, iPlayer etc all run really well. The fanless design means this runs silently and it has a very low power usage so is a much better option as media streamer as it’s more economical to run than a desktop PC.
There are lots of streaming boxes available, including the excellent Steam Link, however the Sumvision Cyclone Mini PC 2 differentiates itself by offering a full Windows 10 experience. Keep in mind gamers will need this and something else (PC or Xbox One), but for those who want the freedom of a PC in the compact box of an Android box this is an excellent option.
The Sumvision Mini PC 2 is available from Amazon UK: http://amzn.to/1OCASoB
Sumvision Cyclone Windows MINI PC2 Micro, Flash Hard Drive Intel® 1440 MHz SOC HD GPU
1 used from £67.94
- CHERRY TRAIL – The new Cherry Trail Atom x5 CPU architecture delivers twice the graphics performance compared to the previous Bay Trail CPU. Games and movies will now run smoother than before.
- AC WIFI – The Sumvision Cyclone Mini PC 2 now supports AC Wifi which provides up to 1.3Gbps transfer speed. This will make for faster streaming, downloading and surfing (AC WiFi router needed in order to utilise the WiFi at this speed)
- USB 3.0 – USB 3.0 provides faster transfer speeds for your USB peripherals like external hard drives and pen drives. The Sumvision Mini PC 2 is the first in its class to boost such great specification which is generally associated with desktops and laptops
- MORE MEMORY MORE PERFORMANCE – You can now get the Sumvision Mini PC 2 4GB RAM option. The 4GB option will give the Mini PC 2 performance that will rival most desktop PCs and laptops. All from a device that fits into the palm of your hand.
- UK SUPPORT TEAM – Buy with confidence knowing that Sumvision have a UK based support team that are at hand to help you with any problems or questions you might have with your Sumvision products. (Product registration required)
Sumvision Ncube Pro 2 LED Bluetooth 5.0 Enhanced Data Rate Designer Stereo Multimedia Wireless Speaker 2.1 with Bass Boost Subwoofer for PC Gaming Laptops Android iPhones iPads iMac
1 used from £30.99
- Next generation n-cube-2 2.1 speaker set with elegant and powerful eye-catching design
- Pure sound powerful bass subwoofer with Duo satellite speakers with high impact Illuminated blue LED light
- Suitable for desktop music, PC gaming and Bluetooth connection
- Easy and simple to use side control panel for bass, treble and master volume (please note pair button actually mean unpair)
- Beautiful design for both home and office
Sumvision KB-Sumnico NICO MINI
- Keyboard and Touch pad - With built in keyboard and touch pad in one solution, you can enjoy full navigation of your media box all in one device
- Sensitive and Accurate Touch pad - High quality and sensitive touch pad that is comparable to notebook touch pads
- Built in Removable Li-Ion Battery - Installed with a removable rechargeable Li-ion battery that can be charged via Micro USB
- Multi Platform Device - Compatible with Android TV box, Google TV box, Xbox 360, PS3, HPTC/IPTV,Smart TV box.
- Plug and Play - No need to install software or drivers. This Nico comes with a USB Receiver at the back of the keyboard that you just plug into the device your device.