Misfit Shine Activity Tracker Review
- Simple: Set your own goals with Shine to see your progress - no buttons, no cables, no charging. Battery lasts up to 6 months.
- Measure: Tracks steps, distance, calories and light and heavy sleep.
The Misfit Shine is a fantastic looking little gadget, it’s a pity they couldn’t call it the ‘Pebble’ as that’s what it resembles. In the box you get everything you need and setup is very easy, you’ll have it up and tracking in less than 10 minutes.
This has been really well designed and allows you to wear this in a number of different ways. Using the provided magnetic strap you can pick between wearing the Misfit Shine on thin clothing (such as a t-shirt), around a belt loop, or on your shoe laces. Cheap generic Cialis online reviews on . The magnet is very strong and feels like it will keep the Shine easily in place. Alternatively it can be worn like a watch by popping it into the included wrist strap.
Once in place you can forget about the Shine, it’s nice and light and happily sits on your arm logging your activity. A big bonus over competitors is that as this doesn’t have a screen and so doesn’t need need charging every day. The Misfit Shine has a user replaceable battery and no charging ports, which gives it another advantage in that it is waterproof, you can wear this in the shower or when swimming.
The companion app is really easy to use and displays data in a clear manner, but that’s mainly due to the simplistic nature of the data. Unfortunately there is no integration with 3rd party products, for example the weight section requires data to be manually entered rather than accept data from smart scales already on the market. It would be nice to see Misfit developing this app to play nice with other fitness ecosystems as at the moment this is really where the Shine falls down, it tells you about steps and sleep patterns, but nothing beyond this. For such a premium priced product so inbuilt guidance would be good, so information about sleep patterns or some explanation of the little graph produced and what this might mean for you.
Having data trapped in this app could be a deal breaker for many. Anyone serious about fitness is likely to already use some sort of app, liberating the data the Misfit Shine collects could prove very useful. If that sounds like you then this likely isn’t the tracker for you as it’s limited to the Shine app only.
A further drawback is that at the moment this only works with iOS devices, but if you don’t have the app on your mobile because you don’t have an iPhone but do have an iPad you can easily check your progress towards that days goals with a simple double tap. The Shine has a set of small lights built it which then light up to show how far into your goal you are, these can also be used to display the time (this can be switched off in the app if it’s not required). Data can then be synchronised with the iPad for full viewing.
This is a really easy to use activity tracker that looks fantastic and once put on can be completely forgotten about. However as great at it is the Misfit Shine is let down by being Apple iOS only (make sure to checkout if your iDevice is compatible before buying). To really shine Misfit need to mark an Android app available and build in importing/exporting data with other fitness services.
If you are a casual fitness person like me this is useful to see when you’re active and to remind you to get more active. If you’re a serious fitness person it’s likely you’ll view this as an overpriced pedometer.
Available to buy from Amazon: http://goo.gl/bFC82I
Misfit Flash Fitness + Sleep Monitor (Fuchsia)
- Halo of lights show you how active you've been throughout the day
- Tracks walking, running, swimming(Flash is waterproof to 30 meters), cycling, soccer, tennis, basketball and more
- No charging required, replaceable battery lasts up to 6 months
- Tells time using elegant, minimalist interface. Wrist Band is included
- Note:The product is not water resistant. Its just splash resistant. Will be affected below 3M
Nokia Steel – Activity & Sleep Watch, white
14 used from £ 67.89
- 24/7 seamless tracking - Automatic walk, run, swim, and more than 10 activities recognized. Plus calories burned & distance
- Sleep monitoring - Sleep cycle analysis (light and deep sleep) plus silent vibrating alarm with smart wake-up which helps you wake up at the best point in your sleep cycle
- Automatic synchronization - Visualize trends and data on your smartphone with the free Health Mate app
- Premium materials - Stainless steel, chrome hands, silicon sport strap
- No charging - Up to 8-month battery life