Pebble Smart Watch
As a fan of the watch, something that seems to be in less and less use these days with people using smart phones to check the time, the idea of one that links to a phone, can change watch faces, control music playback, and last longer than a day was very existing.
Much has been written about the origin of the Pebble, so I’ll skip past how it was developed and report back on my experience as a user, from ordering to the first days use.
Being hotly anticipated I wasn’t able to order this until several months after it had launched. I registered my interest on the Pebble website (www.getpebble.com) and patiently waited.
28th August 2013 – Received the email I’d been waiting for, I could finally order and pay for my new Pebble watch!
26th Autgust 2013 – Confirmation the Pebble watch had been shipped, along with tracking information.
29th August 2013 – Tracking information informs me my Pebble Watch is on the way to the UK.
6th September 2013 – Pebble Watch arrives in UK.
9th September 2013 – Pebble arrives!
Delivery is signed for, being out at work meant I had to pick up the package from the post office, but there were no additional import charges.
The Pebble Watch arrives in a simple, but effective, cardboard box. Opening it you find your watch and the charge cable, which has a standard USB plug on one end and a magnetic set of contact points at the other end. There are no packaged instructions, you need to download the Pebble App to get started.
It looks very cool. The packaging is simple, when you open it the watch is the first thing you see (makes a nice change from manuals and plastic bags!). The only thing I couldn’t see was how to turn the watch on. There are 4 buttons on the watch, on on the left hand side and 3 on the right. The middle right button (select) also doubles as the power button.
Once turned on the setup process was very easy, just fire up the app, discover the Pebble and pair them. Within minutes I was up and running, testing out the notification features and learning how to change the watch faces.
Putting on the Pebble I was immediately struck by how light it is, although this will mostly be due to my regular watch being a nice heavy Citizen watch.
Although light the watch itself is large, so large it’s a little awkward to wear with a shirt. This made it fairly noticeable, gaining me many positive comments around the office. This is a cool watch, and the watch face looks so different to anything else people can’t help but want to know more.
It takes a little getting use to the vibration notification, but after it’s happened a few times you realise just how brilliant it is, it’s far more effective than having the phone vibrating in your pocket/bag.
Notifications were a little hit and miss (Facebook was fine, Go SMS Pro didn’t seem to work), but a quick check on the website and a download of Pebble Notifier, soon sorted this out.
Music controls work well, if using tracks on your handset then the track information will be displayed on your Pebble, and you can use it to skip forward or back a track. The Pebble doesn’t current display track information when using Deezer, but did allow me to skip tracks, very handy when out and about.
I was called a couple of times and it was very handy to see who was calling without taking the phone out of my pocket, helped me quickly and easily dodge a couple of sales calls.
So far so good! Changing the watch face is really easy, and there are loads available for free. I really like the standard Pebble watch face, it’s crisp, clean and simple.
Battery life has been excellent so far, I’ve avoided watch faces with loads of animations to conserve power. I’ve also found my phone battery lasting longer. Why? Because I’m not activating the screen all the time to check for notifications.
There are loads of smart watches coming out, Sony have been doing them for years, but there is something brilliant and special about the Pebble. It doesn’t try to be a phone on your arm, it is a brilliantly design extension to your phone. It gives you the notifications you need without a battery draining touch screen. It can be easily customised and is fantastic value for money given the features.
Makes for a brilliant present, if not for someone you know then for yourself! ;-D
Noticed today the Pebble music control system appears to have been updated to show information from Deezer!
Pebble Smartwatch - Black
- Instant notifications: see who is calling and receive important emails and texts without having to pull your phone out!
- Waterproof to 5ATM fresh and saltwater
- Compatible with iPhone and Android
- Flexible strap in a choice of colours
HUAWEI Watch GT 2 (46 mm) Smart Watch, 1.39 Inch AMOLED Display with 3D Glass Screen, 2 Weeks Battery Life, GPS, SpO2, 15 Sport Modes, 3D Glass Screen, Bluetooth Calling Smartwatch, Pebble Brown
£119.00 in stock
4 used from £104.10
- 【HUAWEI Kirin A1 Self-developed Chip】This new smart watch comes with HUAWEI's self-developed wearable chip Kirin A1, and intelligent power saving technology to provide up to 2 WEEKS of Battery Life.
- 【1.39" AMOLED Display with 3D Glass Screen】HUAWEI WATCH GT 2 (46mm) adopting the 3D glass screen in a smartwatch is a new step in the industry. 1.39-inch AMOLED display with highly accurate touch response.
- 【Bluetooth Calling All the Time】You can use Bluetooth calling with HUAWEI WATCH GT 2 (46mm) smartwatch during workouts and in your daily life. Including: running, cycling, driving or doing housework.
- 【15 Workout Modes & Full-time Fitness Trainer】Multiple professional training courses from entry to advanced level are preinstalled on the watch, providing users with professional and effective guidance.
- 【SpO2 Supported】HUAWEI WATCH GT 2 supports single-time SpO2 level measuring, helping us detect the level of oxygen in the blood whenever and wherever we need.
Popglory Smart Watch, Fitness Tracker with Blood Oxygen, Blood Pressure, Heart Rate Monitor, IP67 waterproof Smartwatch Fitness Watch Smart Watch for Men Women for Android iOS
£25.49 in stock
4 used from £23.71
- 【Movement is under your control】Popglory smart watch has 7 sports modes(Walking, Running, Cycling, Skipping, Badminton, Basketball, Football), which makes your training more scientifically. And it can track your daily activity data like Steps, calories, distance and minutes active and generate data. People who are prone to allergies, please buy with caution.
- 【24 hours health monitoring】Popglory smart watch has heart rate, blood pressure, blood oxygen monitor functions, always paying attention to your physical health, but the data is just used for reference. This smart watch can also measure your sleep automatically, which helps you know awake, light, and deep sleep data.
- 【Custom wallpaper & Smart notification function】Popglory smart watch supports custom wallpaper, you can also set the time position and colour according to the picture. Messages and calls well-informed, raise wrist visible, which you can set on the “HeroBandIII” APP.
- 【Music control & IP67 Waterproof】You can control your phone's music player on this watch (Previous song, next song and pause). With IP67 life waterproof design, you can wear it while washing your hands.(Strap material: silicone. Please ensure that the watch is dry before wearing it, and don't wear it too tightly.)
- 【Compatibility & other features】This watch is compatible with smart phones that use iOS 9.0/Android OS 4.4 or above, and Bluetooth 4.0 or above. And this watch also has alarm, stop watch, remote camera control, weather forecast, and brightness adjustment functions. (Not compatible with iPad or tablets)