DJI OSMO Action, the Go Pro challenger
Move over Go Pro, DJI have come to the action camera party and they’re bringing they’re A game with the DJI OSMO Action.
Unlike the DJI Pocket, the Action doesn’t try and invent a new camera design, it sticks to the well worn path Go Pro have forged.
The DJI OSMO Action is a small, rectangular, camera with a screen on the back, control buttons along the top and side and a small screen on the front.
Unlike other action cameras the small front screen is an actual screen for viewing what the camera sees, something I really like as it makes it much easier to check I’m getting the shot I want.
In the box you get the Action camera, a case, charging cable and a couple of mounting accessories.
The case isn’t what you might expect, it doesn’t fully enclose the camera because it doesn’t need to, the OSMO Action is fully waterproof without the need for an additional case.
Instead you’ll pop the case on when you want to attach the camera to some accessories.
I was disappointing to find there wasn’t an attachment that allows this to be used with a normal tripod, fortunately I had one from the previously reviewed Fantaseal time laps camera mount which worked with the Action because DJI have been smart and used the same mounting design as existing action cameras.
The rear touchscreen is crisp and clear and the menu system is very easier to navigate. Note that if you intend to use this to take photos you’ll need to enable photo options on the menu screen, by default they were hidden for me.
You’ll need to provide your own microSD cards, once you pop that in and charge the camera (via a USB type C cable, included) you’re good to go.
As you’ll see in the video review the camera footage is generally very good. It seemed to struggle in my little recording studio at the start of the video, but I was pleased with everything else.
The slow motion mode is brilliant, I did a recent test to put the DJI OSMO Action up against the Canon M50 and it blew it away.
In addition to the on screen controls you can also control the Action via the companion DJI Mimo app. The app allows you to upgrade to the latest firmware as well remote control the camera.
This can be very useful, it gives you a larger screen to see what’s being recorded and gives you full control over all settings.
I used the app when I had the Action upside down on a selfie stick (the camera automatically recognizes it’s upside down, you don’t need to rotate the recorded video). The camera app allowed me to check the shot before recording, something I couldn’t have done without the app.
I’m not a traditional action camera user, I’ve reviewed a few low cost options in the past and while they’ve been OK they’ve not been something I’ve made use of long term, the quality was never there.
As a non-action camera user I’m really impressed with the DJI OSMO Action, it ticks all the current feature boxes: it’s waterproof, small compact design, has a touch screen, image stabilization, slow motion, camera control app, and it’s compatible with a wide range of existing accessories.
Unlike other similar cameras the front facing screen brings something new to the party, helping ensure you get the best shot you can without needing to use your mobile to check your setup.
Taking on Go Pro, DJI have created a fantastic action camera ideal for vloggers
- Front facing screen
- Great video quality and features
- Doesn't include tripod attachment
DJI OSMO Action Action Camera
£295.00 in stock
7 used from £246.25
- DOUBLE DISPLAY: Whether you want to record your world from behind a lens or be the star of the show, Osmo Action’s dual screens allow you to capture it all with the touch of a button
- ROCKSTEADY: RockSteady combines EIS (Electronic Image Stabilization System) with complex algorithms, delivering stable, shake-free footage no matter how heavy the action gets
- DYNAMIC DETAILS WITH HDR: Enhance the dynamic range of your footage when recording with HDR video; the natural transition between light and shadow will make you capture those rich details
- 11 M WATERPROOF: Sporting a watertight seal and a hydrophobic coating on the back touchscreen, Osmo Action is waterproof at depths of up to 11 meters, making it the perfect underwater companion
- EXPLORE DIVERSE FUNCTIONS: Such as Slow Motion, Custom Exposure Setting, Timelapse, Timed Shooting Mode, Custom Mode, QS Button, SnapShot, Voice Control