The Fritz!Box 7590 is the latest flagship router/telephone system from AVM.
Keeping the iconic silver and red colour scheme the 7590 is instantly identifiable as a Fritz!Box, but a redesigned shell gives this a far more modern look compared to the boxy predecessors that had something of a Jetsons spaceship look to them.
The footprint is a little larger than some routers, but then again most routers don’t pack in a full telephone system! The design allows for excellent airflow and this can be positioned either on a flat surface or wall mounted.
As with previous flagship models, the Fritz!Box 7590 combines a powerful DSL modem/router with a telephone system you can use to run a small office with.
You get almost everything you need in the box, at the time of the review the 7590 didn’t have a UK plug but it worked fine with a travel adaptor (which you’ll need to buy separately).
The Fritz!Box 7590 features a lot of ports, the rear ports face upwards when this is wall mounted.
There are 5 gigabit ports (one pre-allocated to the WAN connection), 2 USB 3 ports (one on the back, one on the side), phone line ports and n ISDN port.
Setup and features
Initial setup was fairly easy, but there are so many features you’ll need to spend some time in the web menu to get the most out of this system, it’s certainly not for the fainthearted given the wide range of features and options available.
Powered by the brilliant Fritz!OS (v 6.83 at the time of review) you’ll initially get an easy to follow setup wizard. You can use this as your main modem/router or in conjunction with existing equipment (for example the Superhub 3 which Virgin require customers to use).
Once you’re online the Fritz!OS gives you a huge range of options. You can setup guest networks, set schedules for WiFi access (very handy if you want to prevent WiFi access outside working hours), and there are a range of tools for monitoring connections, WiFi, speeds etc.
Before you get stuck into the range of internet options you’ll likely want to setup your phone line, the 7590 is a full telephone system after all.
You’ve got a lot of options with the types of line you can use, during review a single analogue line and a SIP line were both setup.
Of course, having incoming phone lines is no good if you don’t have a phone to make and receive calls. AVM have you covered with lots of options, you can plug a phone in, connect existing handsets to the built in DECT base station or install an app on your mobile. Once the app has been authorised your mobile will ring at the same time as your DECT phone whenever there is an incoming call.
The DECT base station can support up to 6 handsets, these and the app phones can be identified in the Fritz!OS by designated names to make them all very easy to manage. And you get a lot of management options, for example an individual can ring out on line A but get calls on line A and B, giving you lots of flexibility over who can use what number.
There is an inbuilt fax machine and answer machine, handsets can be assigned extension numbers to allow for internal calls, there is an address book which can show the name of the caller (assuming you’ve CallerID on the line), the 7590 packs in an amazingly broad range of features that eliminate the need for an independent telephone system.
Another Fritz App allows you to manage your device, setup is easy as it scans your network for your box. You’ll be connecting via WiFi and the 7590 gives you 4 x 4 Multi-User MIMO with both 2.4-GHz and 5-GHz networks available for use. As you’ll see in the review video these provide a very strong signal throughout an average UK house, with the 5-GHz network being more powerful than the equivalent SuperHub 3 version.
The USB 3 ports give you some NAS functionality, which is fairly standard on routers these days, but they can also be used to add a mobile dongle should your internet go down.
There is a smart home management screen, but at the time of review this appears to be related to the AVM product family as opposed to working with smart home technology such as lighting or smart thermostats. Given the recent surge in smart home technology perhaps AVM could take a leaf out of Amazon and add in a Zigbee hub to make this the true centre of the home network.
This review has only scratched the surface of the huge range of features and functions the Fritz!Box 7590 offers. As you’d expect these features do come at a price and so this isn’t going to be something you’ll want to splash out on if you’re not going to make use of them. If you like the look of the Fritz!OS system you might want to check out the more wallet friendly Fritz!Box 4040.
For those in a small office or home office environment the Fritz!Box 7590 makes a lot of sense, combining an excellent modem/router with a feature rich telephone system means you won’t need to splash out on a dedicated phone system that may not offer all the capabilities the Fritz!Box 7590 has to offer.
You may find other Fritz!Box models on those links if the 7590 isn’t available.
Fritz!Box 7590 Telephone System and Router Video Review
AVM FRITZ!Box 7590 UK Version - Modem 4x4 WiFi AC with MU-MIMO (1733 Mbps in 5 GHz and 800 Mbps in 2.4 GHz), Mesh, VDSL, ADSL2+, 1 x Gigabit Wan, 4 x Gigabit LAN, UK Model
£184.99 in stock
AVM FRITZ!Box 6490 Cable WLAN AC + N Router (DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem for Cable Connection, up to 1,300 Mb/s (5 GHz) VoIP Telephone System, DECT Base) red red/silver
1 used from £139.27
- Router with integrated EuroDOCSIS 3.0 cable modem for up to 1,320 Mbps downstream speed, suitable for all common cable connections including Vodafone/Kabel Deutschland, Unitymedia and much more.
- Advanced Dual WLAN AC + N with 1300 (5 GHz) + 450 Mbps (2.4 GHz) for more performance, flexibility and stable connections
- VoIP telephone system with versatile comfort functions for all phones (analog, ISDN, DECT and IP phones), DECT base for up to 6 cordless phones, e.g. B. all FRITZ!Fon models
- 4 Gigabit LAN ports, 2 USB 2.0 ports for printers and storage, media server (UPnP AV) for movies, photos and music on the home network
- Box contents: FRITZ!Box 6490 cable, power supply, 1.5 m coaxial cable, 1.5 m LAN cable, FRITZ!Box CD, installation instructions (cannot guarantee instructions are in English)
AVM FRITZ!Box 7590 International – 4x4 WiFi AC Router Modem with MU-MIMO (1733 Mbps at 5 GHz and 800 Mbps in 2.4 GHz), Mesh, VDSL, ADSL2+, 1 x WAN Gigabit, 4 x LAN Gigabit, Spanish Interface
- AC 2533 WiFi router, 4x4 MU-MIMO (1733 Mbps 5GHz and 800 Mbps 2.4GHz), Mesh, for more speed and better coverage, VDSL/ADSL2+ modem, Gigabit WAN port for connectivity with a modem cable or fiber optic terminal
- 4 x Gigabit LAN for connecting computers and game consoles, 2 x USB 3.0 for printers, network storage devices or USB 3G/4G modem, Multimedia Server (UPnP AV), FRITZ!NAS
- Telephone switchboard for IP (VoIP) or landline telephony with Voice-to-Mail and Fax, integrated DECT base station for six wireless phones, analog phone ports and ISDN
- Configurable parental control, FRITZ!OS with free periodic updates, user interface in English
- Box contents: FRITZ!Box 7590, 4 m DSL telephone connection cable, 1.5 m LAN cable, power supply, quick installation guide in English