OnePlus 5 Review
With the motto of ‘Never Settle’ it’s no surprise to find the OnePlus 5 shipping soon after the OnePlus 3T.
The physical look isn’t too different from the OnePlus 3T, the OnePlus 5 is a great looking slim mobile that has a fingerprint scanner on the front, volume rocker and mute switch on the left and the power button on the right. It’s light in the hand for a large(ish) mobile and looks great in or out of a case.
Headphone socket, speaker and USB-C port are located on the bottom and you get the amazing Dash Charging technology for super speedy recharging.
So far, so OnePlus 3T. The main physical difference is found round the back where, instead of the 3Ts central camera, you’ll find a twin camera and flash setup located off centre.
At the time of review the OnePlus 5 was running Android 7.1.1 with OxygenOS 4.5.5. It runs really smoothly, apps open fast, there’s no lag when scrolling through menus or searching for apps, and there are nice additional features such as gesture shortcuts that allow you to draw a shape on screen and have it activate a function (e.g. draw a V to activate the flash LED as a torch).
Gaming performance is also speedy, the large 5.5″ screen looks great and has enough room to see what you’re doing without covering the screen with your hands while using the on-screen controls.
Unfortunately, as the speaker is located on the bottom it’s very easy to cover when playing games in landscape.
OnePlus 5 Video Review
OnePlus 5 Camera
The much talked about camera offers good day to day performance. New to the OnePlus 5 is a portrait mode which attempts to add DSLR like depth of field to photos. It’s a bit hit and miss, you can see in the photo below it has added a blur but it’s done so to the subject as well as the background.
There is also an optical zoom, which is OK but zoom too much and you’ll end up with grainy photos.
Example OnePlus 5 Photos
Example OnePlus 5 Video Footage
Video quality is very good, especially when paired with the excellent DJI OSMO Mobile for silky smooth footage, even when running at speed. In the following video the rear facing camera was the main camera used to shoot all shots.
Even without the OSMO Mobile for stabilization the OnePlus 5 has proven to be an excellent vlogging camera, the large screen is each to see, the battery life is very good and the front facing camera produces good quality footage as you’ll see in this next example video.
OnePlus 5 vs OnePlus 3T
For those with a OnePlus 3T the 5 might be a tempting upgrade option, but with it coming out so soon after the 3T is it worth it?
Well the short answer is no, the OnePlus 5 is an excellent mobile, but so too is the 3T. Yes there are improvements, you’ll see in the 5 vs 3T comparison video below the OnePlus 5 time-lapse delivers more detail compared to the 3T time-lapse. Order viagra pills online visit website.
However, there aren’t enough advancements for this to be that much different to the 3T and so it’d be better to skip the OnePlus 5 and wait for a model that offers great improvements.
Overall the OnePlus 5 is a great mobile, but feels like an incremental update to the OnePlus 3T rather than a major new device.
The OnePlus 5 is available directly from OnePlus, support me by purchasing using my referral code and get £20 off an accessory: https://oneplus.net/uk/invite#I7TZNN6Y5S9TF5G
G-Most OnePlus 5T Screen Protector [2-PACK], 1+5T [Full Adhesive] [Full Screen Coverage] HD Tempered Glass Screen Cover Shield for OP 5T - Black
- 【Perfect Fit for OnePlus 5T】: Exclusively designed for OnePlus 5T with precise cutouts, compatible with most OnePlus 5T cases and covers. Not suitable for Oneplus 5
- 【Ultra Clear Screen with Black Frame】: High definition tempered glass screen protector, 99.99% transparency and light transmittance to ensure optimal viewing experience. The black frame design matches with the designing concepts of the original OnePlus 5T
- 【No Rainbow Effect】: Upgraded all-clear adhesive, not only on the edges, but also the touchscreen area, sticking firmly on your OnePlus 5T to maintain the original screen touch sensitivity. You won't see the rainbow effect as other screen protectors may have on the phone screen
- 【Scratch/Finger-Print Resistant】: Chemical treated tempered glass with surface hardness reaches to 9H, which is 3 times stronger than other normal glass or PET film, highly impact and scratch resistant, topped with oleophobic coating to reduce smudges and fingerprints
- 【What's in the box】: 2 x G-MOST OnePlus 5T Glass Screen Saver, 2 x Microfiber Cloth, 2 x Alcohol Prep Pad, 2 x Dust Absorber and Guide Stickers, 1 x Installation Guide. All screen protectors sold by G-MOST UK will cover a 12-month replacement warranty
TUDIA DualShield Designed for OnePlus 5 A5000 Case, [Merge] Heavy Duty Protection Slim Hard Shell Phone Case Cover for OnePlus 5 (Matte Black)
£10.99 in stock
- Shockproof TPU and polycarbonate combination for double protection from drops and scratches
- Raised edges for added screen and camera protection
- Slim and rugged design with comfortable grip
- Precise cutouts allow buttons to be easily pressed
- OnePlus 5 Phone Case compatible with OnePlus 5 (2017)
TECHGEAR [3 Pack] Screen Protectors to fit OnePlus 5 [ghostSHIELD Edition] Genuine Reinforced Flexible TPU Screen Protector Guard Covers with Full Screen Coverage inc Curved Screen
- 3x TECHGEAR ghostSHIELD Edition clear TPU Screen Protectors with accessories and instructions sealed in quality TECHGEAR Packaging. PLEASE make sure to watch the installation video BEFORE you attempt to install the screen protectors. (link enclosed)
- FULL COVERAGE: Laser cut designed specifically to offer maximum screen coverage. Material flexibility allows total coverage even on curved devices. Helps protect the maximum surface area, with an invisible finish. (Please Note: We have purposely made these screen protectors ever so slightly smaller than the total screen size. This is to allow for easier installation)
- These Quality TECHGEAR ghostSHIELD screen protectors are Invisible, tough, flexible, ultra clear and maintain your screen's original touchscreen sensitivity without compromising the high-definition viewing experience.
- Dry application and easily removable with no sticky residue or marks left on screen. Custom made for your device, no further cutting is required.
- Excellent choice of screen protection for mobile phones with curved screens, or curved edge screens. This is custom made for the OnePlus 5